What's new

Front component speakers

K

kazama

Hey guys,

Its time for me to do something to my stock speakers setup.
I already have a 2 din JDM Alpine headunit.
Now I'm looking for a good front component speaker.
In one of my previous cars, I used Kicker RS6 or RX6 (can't remember),
it was top of the range and cost me quite a pretty penny but wasn't really that good.

Any suggestions ? What are you guys using at the moment ?
Just to confirm with you guys, our front speakers are 5.25" right ?
Also, would aftermarket tweeters fit in the std tweeter position ?

Cheers mates.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I have a set of 6" focals to go in. As for the tweeters, I am going to make a set of pod for them on the mirror trims in the corner of the window.

K

kazama

I have a set of 6" focals to go in. As for the tweeters, I am going to make a set of pod for them on the mirror trims in the corner of the window.

how did you get the 6" in the standard position ? did you modify the door trim ?

I was told that in order to get 6"s in there, you need to use fibre to make new kick panels. hmmm ..

S

sillbeers15

If U wan to keep it simple, U might wan to consider installing a relatively high power amp to drive the front components and hooking up your rear speakers to your head unit just as fill in speakers.

I use a 500W 4 ch Rockford forgate amp to drive a set of DLS ultimate (6.5" w. tweeters).

K

kazama

Might be getting an amp to drive the front speakers if I have extra cash to splurge.
Otherwise, just use the headunit to power them for the moment because the
front comps that I'll be looking at are quite pricey. Ie. JL Audio Evolution ZR or Dyn Audio comps.

Still uncertain about which one to get, options are open though.

How did you get the 6.5" to fit the small tiny space in the door trims of the S15 allocated for the speakers ?
How did you find the DLS Ultimates ? Are they good ?

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I haven't fitted them yet, hopefully I can get them in in the next week. Work and other committments pending.

S

sillbeers15

Kazama,

The DLS Ultimate 6 delivers more than 'above average' ICE. I'm not an ICE man, so it is good enough for me.

K

kazama

I haven't fitted them yet, hopefully I can get them in in the next week. Work and other committments pending.

alright mate. Let me know how it fits, etc.
Take pics as well, I really want to fit atleast a 6inch in there.
It would have more bass than a 5.25".

Cheers mate

K

kazama

Thanks for the pic, sillbeers15. Nice set of speakers. And nice sound proofing.

Do you by any chance have a pic of it with the door panels put back together ?
Sorry for asking so much. :(

Reaction score
16cm speakers go straight in no problem. Ive upgraded to a set of alpine type r components in the front and amped all round. Great sound, very clear oh and yes dynamat is a good idea to get the most out of what you have.

S

sillbeers15

Kazama,

I do not have a pic of the panel covering back as it all look stock after the panel is covered. Only trick my ICE installer did was to use the air vents location (on both sides of the dash top) to hide the tweeters.

I'll swap my top of the range Pioneer PEH9450 (good thing I did not install the Nakamichi CD700 as recommended by my ICE installer) to replace it with the Pioneer 2 Din LCD touch screen AV/DVD 6850 soon as I plan to install the HKS Camp2 interface device so that I can use the headunit's LCD to display display whatever gauge readings such as Oil temp, Oil pressure, Exhaust temp without installing gauges and display vital readings such as A/F ratio and injector duty cycle from my F-Con V Pro!

K

kazama

16cm speakers go straight in no problem. Ive upgraded to a set of alpine type r components in the front and amped all round. Great sound, very clear oh and yes dynamat is a good idea to get the most out of what you have.

So you're using Type R components ? Is the bass sufficient ?
What amp(s) did you pair it up with ?

K

kazama

Kazama,

I do not have a pic of the panel covering back as it all look stock after the panel is covered. Only trick my ICE installer did was to use the air vents location (on both sides of the dash top) to hide the tweeters.

I'll swap my top of the range Pioneer PEH9450 (good thing I did not install the Nakamichi CD700 as recommended by my ICE installer) to replace it with the Pioneer 2 Din LCD touch screen AV/DVD 6850 soon as I plan to install the HKS Camp2 interface device so that I can use the headunit's LCD to display display whatever gauge readings such as Oil temp, Oil pressure, Exhaust temp without installing gauges and display vital readings such as A/F ratio and injector duty cycle from my F-Con V Pro!

How come you dont want to go for Alpines double din, IVA-W205 ?
Are sound system products alot cheaper in Singapore as compared to KL ?
How much is the Camp2 ? Do you need to buy all the sensors as well ?

S

sillbeers15

Most headunits today are made in 3rd world country to lower manufacturing cost. Not too certain if the Alpine 2 din AV/DVD unit is made in Japan? The Pioneer 6850 is made in Japan. Besides most ICE buff I've asked adviced me the Pioneer unit.

the HKS Camp 2 is going at JPY58,000.....so that's about SGD$1k.

I've already replaced my stock boost gauge with the HKS boost gauge (stock gauge only display up to 1 bar boost)...so I have the HKS central connector purchased that allows a total of 4 gauges output and I've only used one. You need this unit plus purchasing all necessary HKS sensors (be it oil temp, oil pressure, exhaust temp) and plug them to the central connector and also connect the Camp input connector to the central connector to load the various sensor signals into Camp 2 to display on the AV/DVD headunit's LCD screen. Wa-la...it will be done then with not too many gauges hanging on the dash!

Reaction score
Country
One quick question silbeer,

Did you sound proof your inner door as in behind the windows when rolled down. Why I've asked is because I've done the outer door like urs and the sound proof didn't really filter out any sound especially from the front tyres. And I didn't do the speaker place because i couldn't get the white plastic bit that the speaker screw on and afraid that I might break it so I just skip that part.

Reaction score
theres more then enough base, im not into subs in drift cars lol, i used and amp that i had sitting in work, its a fujitsu 400w amp, looks like its from the stone age but it does what it needs to. By the way i have the alpine w202r double din headunit and its more then good enough. We have built a few competition cars in work and used these and they seem to last so why not:thumbs:
So you're using Type R components ? Is the bass sufficient ?
What amp(s) did you pair it up with ?

S

sillbeers15

Ichi-go,

No. I did not sound proof the outer skin interior surface of the car door. The purpose for the soundproof is to eliminate vibration coming from the speakers.

I did extensive soundproofing in my S14 and the results were good.

But when it came to S15, I didn't want to do extensive sound proofing as I wanted to keep the kerb weight tight!

There are lots of NVH coming from all the performance parts installed....so I don't bother to sound proof it. Just changing the rear diff bushes to PU and boy!....all the niti-grity noise from diff to transmission gets transmitted into the cabin!

K

kazama

Most headunits today are made in 3rd world country to lower manufacturing cost. Not too certain if the Alpine 2 din AV/DVD unit is made in Japan? The Pioneer 6850 is made in Japan. Besides most ICE buff I've asked adviced me the Pioneer unit.

the HKS Camp 2 is going at JPY58,000.....so that's about SGD$1k.

I've already replaced my stock boost gauge with the HKS boost gauge (stock gauge only display up to 1 bar boost)...so I have the HKS central connector purchased that allows a total of 4 gauges output and I've only used one. You need this unit plus purchasing all necessary HKS sensors (be it oil temp, oil pressure, exhaust temp) and plug them to the central connector and also connect the Camp input connector to the central connector to load the various sensor signals into Camp 2 to display on the AV/DVD headunit's LCD screen. Wa-la...it will be done then with not too many gauges hanging on the dash!

The person that I go to always recommends me Alpine headunits. Gee. I'm not too sure.
But someone mentioned it before that nowadays the high end models for all brands are
roughly the same as their competitors. I'm not sure how true is that.

You're right about cluttering the dash/interior area. I'm thinking of getting rid of my defis (5x).
The dash I'm looking for is this http://youtube.com/watch?v=yQCk5AE1UbI

Its fully programmable and it will hook up to my AEM's serial port nicely.
Sensors are not that expensive and it looks great. More race car look. :$
But it will take sometime getting use to digital display as opposed to our normal analog.

Is the CAMP-2 available now for sale ?