What's new

interior light wont go off!!!!

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
right, heres one for y0 all!!

My interior light wont go off, along with the iluminated ring around the ingition barrel.

The interior light goes off if selected to 'off' on the manual swith, but it stays on, on auto mode (normally comes on when door opens etc). Ignition barrel light on all the time, even when the cars locked etc

the 'door open' light on the dash is working correctly.. only on when the doors open

and when driving along, they somtimes flicker on and off..

any ideas?? because i havent got a clue!! and its reeeeeeeally annoying disconnecting the battery all the time.

:annoyed:

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Sounds like a dodgy door switch or a short in the wiring for one of the switches. Basically the door switches a ground (-ve) to the switch and light. Obviously is there is a short to the body of the car, the light won't go off.
Try operating the door switches one by one and see if you can track down which door it is.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
i thought that to start with, but the dashboard light that comes on when a door is open is operating normally and works for both doors so i assumed it wasnt the door switches..?

:(

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I would say its a short in the wiring then. do you know how to use a multimeter? You could remove the light assembly with the doors closed and check for a ground on the switched wire.

Also instead of disconnecting the battery, take the bulb out.

Last edited:

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
ye, i can use a multimeter, just confused though as i thought the only way the light would come on is when the doors are opened..

but i just realised it should come on when the cars unlocked too.. so it could be a whole load of things/different wires!! like you said, probably shorting out somwhere as it flickers when i drive..

i've got one of those bad feelings this is going fault is going to be a right mission to find and fix :(

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
have a look at the back of the light assembly. It could just be a bad connection.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
which light assembly/connection do you mean mate??

p.s. cheers for the help :)

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
no prob.

I am talking about the interior light assembly. Have a look at the connections on it.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
ok, will do, but will that affect the ignition barrel light..?

the ignition barrel light stays on even if i turn the interior light off.. only goes off when i disconnect the battery!

also, you know when you leave the key in the ignition and open the door, it makes that 'bong, bong' warning noise doesnt it... Well mine now does that even with both doors closed.. but why does the 'door open' warning light not come on the dashboard.? this is driving me mad! lol

i'll clean up both door switches, and the interior light connectors in the morning and then see whats going on. Hopefully it will miraculasly solve it :)

:(

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
have a look at the manual. Pg 49 has the schematic. On Pg 54 it gives a trouble shooting guide for interior lamp timer does not cancel properly. Maybe that will help.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
i took the door swithces apart and it now thankfully appears to be just the passenger door swith that is at fault (thought it was going to be some wiring shorting out).

I dont suppose anyone has a spare one floating around?? or know if their the same as on the s14/14a?

:)

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
looks like an easy fix then :thumbs: