What's new

12v Ignition feed in engine bay

Reaction score
Why do you want it to run from the ignition 12v?
The fans will only work with the ignition on... i take mine straight from the battery... this cools the engine even after you turn the engine off!

Is it a wire you need for a specific controller?

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Why do you want it to run from the ignition 12v?
The fans will only work with the ignition on... i take mine straight from the battery... this cools the engine even after you turn the engine off!

Is it a wire you need for a specific controller?
Is there any use for the fans to be able to run after the engine is turned off?
I mean, the water isn't circulating when the engine is off so it would just cool the water in the radiator.

or am I competely wrong?

Reaction score
In some respects it does seem pointless and drain the battery slightly... on the other hand my setup is independant of anything else running and keeps never lets the water temps get high...

.... also its easier to take the power from the battery rather find an ignition wire under the bonnet! :p

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
With it hooked up to the battery, that means if the car is parked in the sun, the fans would come on if it was hot.

The controller (Revotec) asks for it to be hooked up to a 12v ignition, ground and the fans. Just didnt know where i could get a 12v supply other than the stereo, the wires aint nowhere near long enough for that, so thought there must be something closer?

Reaction score
I dont think the sun would heat the engine up that much would it????

EDIT: Especially in Scotland!!! :p

Reaction score
Have you got the s15 manuals in pdf form? If s, you could try tracking from the ignition barrell back into the engine bay.

Wiring the fans to the battery is only of use if you have an electronically controlled electric water pump. You can then have the pump stay on after the engine switches off. Best solution in my book :)

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I've noticed there was a plug that came from the original fans, would i be able to use the wires from it to connect into the thermo?

Reaction score
Those go from the ac control... hook a voltmeter up and see if you get a 12v with ignition on... and engine on... found a few that were ONLY ignition and the voltage went when the engine starts

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Ok, i'll check them. Would be a fair bit easier if i could use them, as the wires are hugely long and could reach the controller.

The upper rad pipe is quite short and curved, i'm not sure if there is room for the controller on there, would it be ok fitting it to the bottom pipe? As its much longer.