What's new

Fuel guage & Rev counter not working!

S

Silverstreak

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Since collecting my car from an importer who shall remain nameless :censored:, the rev counter and fuel gauge have never worked.

Said Importer :censored: suggested that I sent the clock set back to the electronics place to get the whole lot re-mapped again, this was done, but again came back with the same problems! :annoyed: I have done the clock check function (turning keys and pressing the trip counter etc..) and all the clocks come to life, so they all work in principle (incidently the low fuel light never comes on when all warning ligts show on first ignition).

The rev counter will hover at 250rpm during idle and rise to about 800rpm during normal driving. :confused:

As you can probably imagine this is a real fly in the ointment for what otherwise is a real joy to drive! Please any suggestions as I dont want to go bald before the age of 30! :mad:

Reaction score
no really sure on the issue mate could be ecu related or clock related never investigated the clock electronics on the s15's but if you need a spare set of clocks i have a set spare.

O

oilrag22

Download the SM on this forum, it is located in the Mechanical & Bodywork section, as a sticky. In the chapter EL page 64 you'll find the diagnose modus for the combination meter.

As far as i can tell, it should be the Unified Meter Control Unit, that is damaged and needs replacement. This is a seperate part within the combination meter...

S

Silverstreak

Download the SM on this forum, it is located in the Mechanical & Bodywork section, as a sticky. In the chapter EL page 64 you'll find the diagnose modus for the combination meter.

As far as i can tell, it should be the Unified Meter Control Unit, that is damaged and needs replacement. This is a seperate part within the combination meter...
Thanks oilrag, I already have the repair manual, this is the section that I used to check the clocks already. As I said they all work properly so I'm thinking that the problem is either with the signal being sent by the ecu or sensor problems at the source i.e. the fuel level sensor in the tank.

If anyone else could shed any light on these problems then please let me know! :)

O

oilrag22

Have you used the flow chart from EL65 and up, cause that indicates that as soon as you got trouble with more than one combination panel component, it is most likely to be the UMCU. In all other instances it talks about just one meter not working and checking sensor and wiring.

Use EL67 and up to check power and ground, also it mentiones here, that when you disconnect the combination panel, you can easily check tach voltages(EL68), as well as fuel level sensor(EL69)...

Reaction score
nameless importer... wouldn't happen to be neweara? lol

could it be anything to do with the delimiter and converter box that'd have been installed when the car was ESVA'd?

S

Silverstreak

Have you used the flow chart from EL65 and up, cause that indicates that as soon as you got trouble with more than one combination panel component, it is most likely to be the UMCU. In all other instances it talks about just one meter not working and checking sensor and wiring.

Use EL67 and up to check power and ground, also it mentiones here, that when you disconnect the combination panel, you can easily check tach voltages(EL68), as well as fuel level sensor(EL69)...
Good call, will get my tech guy to check this out later this week, must have missed that! :eek:

S

Silverstreak

nameless importer... wouldn't happen to be neweara? lol

could it be anything to do with the delimiter and converter box that'd have been installed when the car was ESVA'd?
Don't want to point any fingers! Lol! Could be, everything that my nameless Importer did to the car between it touching the docks and me getting the keys has either fallen off, Looked like a five year old did it or just not worked full stop, So YES, it could well be the cause of the problem! Would stand to reason!!! :wack: