What's new

How to remove OEM boost gauge and fit Defi gauge in....

Reaction score
Website
www.skewer.co.uk
Country
Super write up, will be removing my boost gauge shortly to sort out a custom facia for it, will then do the main dash to match :D

Reaction score
Country
I've been trying to fit my 60mm defi boost gauge tonight. I've trimmed the plastic tabs back, but it doesn't want to sit forwards in the holder properly. It sits about 5mm back in leaving a gap where the face of the gauge sits.

Did anybody else have this problem, or am I going to end up buying a 52mm version to get it sitting right?

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
I've been trying to fit my 60mm defi boost gauge tonight. I've trimmed the plastic tabs back, but it doesn't want to sit forwards in the holder properly. It sits about 5mm back in leaving a gap where the face of the gauge sits.

Did anybody else have this problem, or am I going to end up buying a 52mm version to get it sitting right?
I've not got a defi bit I do have a 60mm boost gauge.

Mine sits the same way, you won't even notice it when it's put back, well I dont anyway.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i didnt bother trying to fit it behind, i just rounded the hole out a bit and pushed it in the front.....same guage as darren's, 60mm ;)

Reaction score
Country
i cant seem to find the right bulb size anywhere for the factory gauge back light.
anyone know?

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
Drivers inner wing behind fuse box mate, you'll see the vacuum hose going to it ;)

Reaction score
Country
i got my s15 as a rolling shell that was pretty stripped. any one got a picture? so i can rummage through my box of bits/identify which plug it is.

the car is going to be a daily so having a gauge that only goes upto 1 bar is fine for my application.

Reaction score
Country
factory boost gauge............. step 1, remove, step 2, throw in bin, step 3, get a better one

Reaction score
Country
better than nissan OEM quality? wash your mouth out!!.

i dont need an aftermarket boost gauge as im not going to go over 14psi. plus the OEM one matches the dash clock faces.

if someone is tinkering under the bonnet tomorrow could you take a picture please!.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Oem boost gauges have a tendency to die and arent that accurate tbh I would swap it out just get one with orange lit background to match the dash ... SImples
i will probably be messing with my car later so will get some pics iir

Last edited:

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
Would love to know if anyone sussed out the OEM gauge wiring for defi use? Needs on, ignition, illumination and earth.

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
Hey guys, this thread was super helpful so thanks for all who have contributed. I discovered a couple of thigs along the way that I thought might be worth sharing, particularly re-using the wiring that's already in place for the original OEM boost sensor to give power (sensor is seperate, although there is a small grommet behind the clutch master which makes running that a sinch)...

Hope this helps.

S15 Boost Gauge Wiring

Stolen information from several places on the internet and added a little of my own including pics with the intention of re-using the original wiring that is in place to get my Defi gauge up and running.
Mostly here: </title> <link rel="shortcut icon" href=/images/"favicon.ico" > <link rel="icon" type="image/gif" href=/images/"animated_favicon1.gif" > <script type="text/javascript"> </script> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.freshalloy.com/clientscr

Pin out

From the car
Pin 1 Red/Blue: Illumination power supply. Key-on, 12v with light s/w on.
Pin 2 Black: Illumination ground. Key-off, 0v.
Pin 3 Green/Yellow: Ignition power supply. 10A fuse. Key-on, 12v.
Pin 4 Red/Black: Constant power supply. 10A fuse. Key-off, 12v.
Pin 5 White/Green: Boost sensor signal. Voltage varies with signal (1.2 – 2.5v approx.)
Pin 6 Black: Gauge ground. Key-on, 0v.

Fig 1

boost_wiring_3557.jpg

Pin out

From the boost gauge
Pin 1 White: Illumination power supply. Key-on, 12v with light s/w on.
Pin 2 White: Illumination ground. Key-off, 0v.
Pin 3 Red: IGN - Ignition power supply. 10A fuse. Key-on, 12v.
Pin 4 Red: Constant power supply. 10A fuse. Key-off, 12v.
Pin 5 Yellow: Boost sensor signal.
Pin 6 Black: Gauge ground. Key-on, 0v.h

Fig 2

Soldered and connected

Twist the unused wires together, then strip the wires you will need paying careful attention to the two red wires coming from your plug. One of these will match the Defi colour scheme and the other will match the orange out. I used a sharpie pen to put a black line to make the distinction.

Fig 3

The plugs in the photos are oriented such that they would plug in together, and the pins start by counting the side further away from you with two wires first from left to right as shown (1 and 2) and then the closer side with four wires (3, 4, 5 and 6) - I've bolded the wires that match up with the Defi Racer guage as that's what I was fitting. To do the above you will need to cut the wires from your OEM gauge, so if you want to keep it and possibly re-use it then make sure to leave enough wire... For me, mine was too temperental anyway so if I sell the car the next guy gets it. The car deserves a decent boost guage so I'm cool with this and I don't plan on letting it go any time soon :)

Reaction score
Country
would it be possible to just unplug the original sensor and plug a defi one in instead of plumbing into another part of the engine?