What's new

Aircon removal

M

mitch

Morning all.

I've removed the aircon pump, condensor etc from the engine bay, but can I also remove the two large black units in this picture with no adverse effects, or are they a part of the normal heater or fan system? I want to keep the heater, but lose the weight of bits that aren't required.

Many thanks for any advice :)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The box in the centre is the AC filter box (another addition over the S14 :) ). Not sure about the other. It'll probably be in the manual though...

M

mitch

Thanks :) Do you know if I can remove them without hindering the standard blower sytem?

M

mitch

Not a clue, I'm afraid. Wouldn't even consider running without AC on mine... :D
It was one of the first things to come off. There will be a lot of things I'm going to do to my car that you wouldn't approve of, but there you go:D;)

Channie-a pipe from where to where, mate?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Its not that I don't approve, its just something I've wouldn't do. If I was building a serious drift or track car, then I might... :)

M

mitch

To be honest mate, if it was to be a road car I would have kept the Aircon, and wouldn't have stripped half the stuff that I did. It does feel a bit wierd, stripping down such a good car to make a semi track beast, but it's the way i like it.

Reaction score
Hey mine is a road car... but getting completely gutted... i like the raw feel!!!

Im taking my dash out again on friday... i'll post some pics of my setup....

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Anyone got an S13 they dont want that i can have? i dont want to pay for it, but fancy making myself a drift car :D

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Don't they give them away? :p Wouldn't need much prep. Give it a few good taps with a hammer and it'll halve in weight... :rotfl:

P

Paul2x

One's the blower fan the other is the heater core, If you'd like to keep your fan yet remove the heter core you'll need to make a pipe / duct that replaces the heater core to allow the air to pass from the blower to the vents.

M

mitch

I just emptied the aircon one and kept the shell, and replaced the blower on the left back into the car. It works fine, I just forgot to say :)

P

Paul2x

Can you post a pic of what you did?

I've been thinking about doing the same, it would just be nice to see a pic of what you did before i start pulling my dash apart.

thanks! :D

M

mitch

I don't think I took pics. I removed both large boxes and removed the screws/clips holding the middle box together and removed the matrix from inside, then refitted the lot.

If I was in California like you, I wouldn't be taking the aircon off though.