What's new

What fuse are these wires connected to?

Reaction score
Country
So been installing my mishimoto rad fans tonight and I wanted to check which wires were positive and negative.

There are two plus that connect to the fan, a long one for the AC fan and a shorter one which I think plugs into the electric fan?

Anyway the shorter one has two wires brown and pink, I accidentally made a short and it has blown a fuse but I can't find which one. Any ideas? Will grab some.pics in a bit

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Country
These are the wires and the plug I cut off. The brown was positive but now I get nothing when I test it with the probe

Joeh

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.silivaoc.com
Country
Instagram
@silviaownersclub
These are the wires and the plug I cut off. The brown was positive but now I get nothing when I test it with the probe

They will only be live when the fanswitch (temp sensor) has kicked them on or the A/C. Try turning the A/C on and measuring again, they are on a relay AFAIK

Reaction score
Country
Turns out these are for the thermo fans but when the car is up temp I don't get any positive voltage.

When I was testing stuff during install these did touch and short out but I can't find what it has blown

I've wired the fans up in the diagram attached and checked the marked fuses and relays. The fans currently kick in when the AC is turned on but not when the car is hot. Had it over 100 degrees and still nothing

Joeh

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.silivaoc.com
Country
Instagram
@silviaownersclub
Yes exactly as I was saying.

The diagram of the fan circuit you've listed above is not correct, that is a custom circuit a member has made by himself.

The problem most likely one of two things:

Fan Switch (this is a thermal switch) screwed into the bottom corner of the radiator, looks like this:
18926-4_16.jpg

OR

The relay is not working (The Relay is driven by the fan switch)

The ECU also has the ability to switch the fans on, but based on temperature it is controlled mechanically by the Fan Switch. The ECU is what turns the fan on when the A/C is in use.

There should be a way to measure the resistance of the fan switch to check if it's working fine, I would suggest doing that and also try touching the terminals together on the fan switch plug to see if it triggers the fan.

Reaction score
Country
I've already checked the relay and it's fine so must be this. I'll start prodding it tonight and let you know!

Joeh

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.silivaoc.com
Country
Instagram
@silviaownersclub
Sure, I would still suggest to touch the terminals of the fan switch plug together to test the relay, if you get no response then it could even be the wiring back from the fan switch to the relay, you can use a multimeter to do a continuity test

Reaction score
Country
Not sure if I'm being stupid here...no wires or anything go to the radiator, the only things I can see that look like that are under the inlet manifold. The plug on the left has a single spade connection and the one on the right a duestch connector.

Or am I looking in completely the wrong place?

Reaction score
Country
For reference, on the single plug it shows as positive, on the double the grey shows negative and pink/black shows neither bit 4.8v across.

This is all with ignition on.

Joeh

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.silivaoc.com
Country
Instagram
@silviaownersclub
For reference, on the single plug it shows as positive, on the double the grey shows negative and pink/black shows neither bit 4.8v across.

This is all with ignition on.

That’s your water temperature sensor

There should be a sensor at the lower part of the radiator in this location in the image attached

Reaction score
Country
Nothing on the bottom, even drain plug is different

Joeh

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.silivaoc.com
Country
Instagram
@silviaownersclub
I've just had a moment to have a look and I realised that I'm wrong, so I do apologise about that

The S15 only had a clutch fan at factory, all electric fan installs were non-OEM and would need it's own fan controller (Apart from the A/C Fan which comes on at 95'c)

The plug that you're asking about in your first post, can you recall where it was located originally?

Reaction score
Country
Both plugs I seem to remember where connected to the fan. The plug that was on the end of the two thin wires connected to another plug and lead that went to the AC fan.

I've been studying the wiring diagrams a lot as I do have the service manual. It also says there are two relays for the fan but I cannot locate the second. Need to look at my nistune software too and see if the temp sensor is working correctly