What's new

Damn Headunit

P

paulphot

Hi guys,

well the car has just passed the 110,000km mark and had it's first issue. I was in the middle of a 15 hour drive when I went to eject a cd from the factory 6 disk in dash stacker. The display flashed "wait" which is normal but then came up with "err 3".......not so normal. So now I can't eject any of the disks or even play a cd and the right hand control dial (adjusts balance, fader, bass and treble) won't work either.

Has anyone come accross this before, is there a reset button or sequence on the head unit or is it in need of a new one?

Cheers
Paul

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
There should be a small manual CD retrieval pin hole somewhere on the head unit similar to that on PC CD-ROM drives...

P

paulphot

Cool, I'll have a look. I might try disconnecting the battery as well and do a full reset that way. Who knows, might be the excuse I need for a new head unit.....and speakers.......and amp etc

P

paulphot

Well I had a look and there aren't any disk eject holes. I disconnected the battery overnight to try a reset of the unit and now it doesn't recognise cd's in there. So no eject cos there supposedly isn't anything to eject. Phoned Nissan and apparently fault code 3 means dead cd drive mechanism. Not good news. I'll have to replace the headunit and pull it apart to get the disks out. Bummer.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
There should be some method to open the drive mechanism in the event of just this happening. I've never known anything not have something (though it may not be immediately obvious). Even household DVD players have something...

P

paulphot

thats what I thought but even the Nissan tech (who actually sounded like he knew what he was on about) said there was no magic button to eject the disks. Oh well............now where did I put that can opener.........

Reaction score
hahah should do the trick.... although... CD's may not be in a usable state with our choice of tools...