What's new

Random Engine Cut Out

Reaction score
Country
This only started to happen recently. Basically it seems after a random bout of spirited driving when I come to a slow down or a stop the engine will suddenly cut out. It doesn't jerk or anything like when you stall a car. The battery light comes on, and engine light and obvs the steering gets heavy cause the power steering has cut out. Today I was still travelling at about 50mph when I shifted wrongly and dropped into neutral by mistake and dropped revs and the engine cut out and i was still coasting along. However each time with a quick turn of the key in the ignition the car will start straight away. Also it seem the car feels a little bit sluggish. Not sure if that is just a psychological thing or not.

Seems a bit dangerous if the engine can cut out while i am still going like around 50mph with a little shifting mistake. HELP!

Reaction score
Country
I don't think I do. I haven't really put any mods on it since i had it although it already had the standard mods.

Reaction score
What are the standard mods?

Is the pipe from the turbo to the air flow meter still the standard 'elephant trunk'?

Reaction score
Country
just standard fmic, filter, exhaust, decat etc. Not sure about that pipe. need to check. But what if it is?

Reaction score
Country
yes I have a BOV. What would be the issue with a standard elephant trunk? Also what could be the issue with aftermarket bov?

Reaction score
Country
If a shorter/straighter replacement pipe is used it can cause turbulence causing stalling, given you have standard trunk it's unlikely thats the cause.

as for BOV, they can stick open and cause stalling, which make of BOV do you have?

Reaction score
Country
Well I have not had any problems since I've owned the car and only started having this problem about 3 weeks ago. No mods have been done since I bought the car. My BOV is Blitz. I guess I could check that out first. If it is stuck how would you recommend I rectify it? WD40?

Reaction score
Country
the Blitz probably won't leak so no real point checking that.

do you have a front mount intercooler or standard wing mount?

Reaction score
The spring in the blow off valve can stick, you have to take it off and clean it out..put some very light oil on the piston

Reaction score
Country
The spring in the blow off valve can stick, you have to take it off and clean it out..put some very light oil on the piston
don't the blitz (like the SSQV) work in reverse to a normal BOV meaning the SSQV and blitz are unlikely to leak

Reaction score
Country
i have this issue also in mine, I've noticed it a lot more now that im using it, mainly happens coming up to junctions/lights. as you back off the throttle and then into neutral just as you come to a stop the revs will drop to around 500- then either go back to idle or stall.

I don't run a BOV so I'm assuming its the stalling air coming back out the turbo or whatever its doing that is causing it. could it be that the valve isnt opening enough/sticking shut causing the same issue? boost is about 0.7 bar currently