What's new

Coil pack wire harness + exhaust manifold shield removal

Reaction score
Country
noob questions!

So I decided to buy a new harness to go with my new coil packs...why not, its old as f**k. It looked simple to do but I see the earth wire disappears round the back of the engine, under the cowl & I cant see where it goes or how I would get a spanner in there.

Anyone tell me how I get to it?

I want to try removing my manifold heat shield as it may be the source of an annoying rattle sound at specific rpms, it looks rusty around the bolt holes & this may be whats vibrating. Is there an easy way to get this off, seems theres a lot in the way... does it slip out in a certain way or anything or what stuff do I have to take off & what can I leave in place?

Any help would be appreciated.

immy21

Reaction score
Country
12mm flexi head rachet spanner on the back of the head. Refit in a different bolt hole with easier access, a few to choose from in that area.
Think there is a small bracket in the way, remove it and throw it in the bin.

Don't fit the coil harness plug above the mani like in stock position above the mani, the heat makes the connector brittle.
Nissan ****ed up putting it there, S14's was not above the mani.

Reaction score
As above, fit the earth to another hole in the head and I cable tied my plug to the ABS brake lines on the firewall....

Reaction score
Country
Ok, so I still cant even see where this wire is bolted in, theres no way I can fit a spanner round there & the rigid bracket thing too, I cant see how you would remove that. Am I missing something?

Seeing as I have a new wire harness, I thought I could just chop the wire off the old one. Do I have to put the earth wire on the engine or can it be put on the body? theres a little bracket that looks like it holds the wire harness to the bulkhead that has a bolt holding It on in the 2nd photo. If it has to be on the engine...where is a suitable place? I don't have any spare bolts or anything.

Last edited:

immy21

Reaction score
Country
You need to remove that bracket in the last pic, then bin it.
Then you will be able to follow the coil loom earth to back of head by feel.

Reaction score
Country
I see the earth bolt now but cant get a spanner on it, like you say remove the bracket & id get more room but I tried to take the small square bracket off but it wont come out, took the bolt out & the bracket is all hooked up around the wire harness, wobbles around & stuff but cant even get close to getting it out or to move over or anything.

The car runs and everything so its not urgent & tbh there is no problem with the harness, just wanted to renew it with some other stuff, I will try getting a flexi ratchet spanner on it. It seems like if my spanner had a bit more angle on it, I might have been able to just get it on the bolt. Really annoying thing when it seemed so straight forward.

Last edited:

immy21

Reaction score
Country
I'm talking about the bracket nearest to the centre bolt in your bottom pic.
It's not that big a deal, your lesson here is use the right tool for the job, in this case a flexi head rachet spanner, buy a full set.
Other than travelling 200 miles and doing it for you I can't help any further, good luck.

Reaction score
Country
!? I cannot see where that bracket joins to the engine... how do you get that off??