What's new

No dash lights, engine cranking but not turning over.

Reaction score
Country
I bought an S15 with the fuse box and battery relocated to the boot, but didn't want to keep it like that - so I found a car which is exactly the same as mine that had a nose to tail collision, and decided to get the fuse box + loom out of it, so I could put it in my car. I've put it in my car, but now I have no dash lights showing, and the car starts, but doesn't turn over. Everything works when it's on Acc, radio works, headlights work, etc, but when I turn the key to On, there are no dash lights coming up at all.

I've double checked all the connections and earths, and everything is connected properly. I put a new battery in the engine bay as well (40B19L), so it's not related to anything to do with the battery. I also had the alarm reinstalled, which I had to snip off the old loom (it's connected to the ignition switch), and when the guy reinstalled the alarm, he said it's an ignition problem.

Any ideas as to what could be the problem? I was told everything was fine with the car the loom came out of (before the accident anyway). Thought I'd ask first before I inevitably get ripped off by an auto electrician.

Reaction score
I'd be looking at the alarm, it could be immobilising the ignition preventing it coming on, maybe an earth somewhere...Electrical stuff is tricky and time consuming, the only tried and tested method is a Multi Meter on connections

Reaction score
Country
Yes, this sounds exactly like what happens if I try to start my car without pressing the immobiliser key on the alarm fob

Reaction score
Country
It was doing it before I had the alarm reconnected. I thought when I first put it in, it was because of the alarm not being connected back up. So I was hoping it was just a matter of having that wired in*again, and that solving the issue. I was at work when the alarm was redone, but he told my gf it was ignition related.

I also checked the fuses in the drivers side, and the fuse box, even swapping them over from my old one, but no luck. It's like I have an unconnected plug somewhere, but I've gone over the whole thing, twice.

My brother is coming over on the weekend with a multi meter, so hopefully we can find the problem.

Reaction score
Country
I don't know if it's exactly the same problem but mine did a very similar thing and pulling the fuse labelled BAT (10A) located in the fuse box by the throttle pedal for 10 minutes and putting it back in sorted it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Country
I finally solved this problem. There was a cut wire (black with red stripe) off the ignition section of the harness. I noticed a little split in the plastic covering the loom around the steering column, and stripped it off to find the cut. I suspect the car the loom came off had a turbo timer, or some other addition, which was just cut out of the loom. I soldered it together and everything fired up as it should.