What's new

Fuel sender replacement (or fix) help

Reaction score
Country
Hi all,

So my jdm spec r s15 has a fuel sender that's not working. It always sits at empty with the fuel light on even when full. I narrowed it down to the fuel sender by sticking a wire into the connection of the fuel sender (to the gauge) and the gauge went up.
The problem however is getting the damn thing out. I went fishing for it in the tank but I cant figure out how to get it off. Are there tabs that i need to push down to free the fuel sender? or is it easier to lift the whole metal bit (thats the sender is mounted to) out that slides onto the plastic thing?
Pics would be handy but there isn't much on fuel senders... If i have a diagram of the fuel tank it would help so much haha.

Anyone know how to get the fuel sender out? The plan is to inspect/clean/fix it

Cheers

CMR

Reaction score
Country
It "unhooks", very hard to describe but if you get a cheap inspection camera from eBay and plug it into a laptop or android phone it will make more sense.
I took mine out to fix the same issue a few years ago now

Reaction score
I had a similar issue, and found that it just needed a new earth. Might be worth checking if that works for you first as it;s a lot less work than replacing the thing.

Reaction score
Country
Also with it unhooking, do i just need to pull it to the left (if i stand at the back of the car facing the front of the car)?
i read that you may need to pull with a bit of force. just don't want to break it!

Reaction score
I spliced the loom above the tank, above the metal plate, while sitting in the boot and ran a new earth from just above the metal plate down onto the body, did the trick for me as my earth was broken somewhere further along the loom. May not be the case for you, but i would rule everything else out before i look to pull the thing out of th tank.