What's new

JDM S15 Aircon Issue - Ventilators and Footwell

Reaction score
Country
Hi guys,

Up until recently my aircon was working fine - with the exception of the clicking noise coming from the bi-level door motor.

Now the only mode that works is 'Defrost'. Nothing comes out from the footwell or front vents regardless of which other modes are selected.

The compressor works, the blower motor works, and the intake door seems to respond when switching between the recirculation buttons.

Is there a fuse that controls the floor and ventilator doors or has anyone experienced the same issue? I am at a loss.

Just wanted to see if anyone could pin point the problem before I disassemble the dash or go to an auto electrician.

Thank you in advance,

ammo26

Reaction score
Country
Were you able to identify this problem?

I have the exact same issue. When I hit the "MODE" button to switch between the vents, it makes a horrid clicking noise, and won't switch modes. Air only ever comes out of the defrost vents just below the windscreen.

I would like to know what it likely is so I can get the parts before I disassemble my dash... I daily drive it to work...

EDIT:

Like this, right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyhjcglEnSU
It says in that video description that he changed out the servo gear and it fixed the problem.
Here is probably what needs to be fixed:
http://www.lightning-strikes.jp/wp/記事/シルビア s15 エアコン吹き出し口切替時にカチ

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Hi stk910,

I have made no progress - lack of trying plus it only bothered me during summer.

I am not entirely sure but I think the clicking noise is irrelevant to this issue. The noise was occurring a while before this problem arose.

If you remove the radio / DIN you can see the small mechanical arm that makes the noise.

I am going to have read of the service manual sometime soon (work has been busy) but I will definitely let you know if I find anything.

Regards,

ammo26

Reaction score
Country
So I fixed both my "clicking noise" issue while hitting the MODE button, and fixed the problem with the air only exiting the defrost vents just below the windscreen.

They were two seperate problems.

The "clicking noise" came from a stipped servo gear on the bi-level door motor that is behind the center console, just like in the link I posted above.
The air only coming out of the defrost vents was due to the mode door motor dying. It is located in the driver's side footwell just behind your left knee. It's this one with the blue round sticker on it:

Both motors cost 5000yen a piece (~40 GBP?) and were super easy to change. No more AC or vent problems now.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
You are a genius stk910! Saved me a lot of headache.

Your contribution will definitely make it easier for other owners to fix.

I really appreciate it!

Reaction score
This has just happened to me, the Bi Level door motor behind the stereo head unit is clicking in 4 out of 5 modes...Glad I'm not the only one it's happened to makes it easier to isolate the problem when others have had the same issue...this is why forums are a fantastic sources of information..

Reaction score
Country
Hi all,

I’m experiencing similar problems but mine is stuck with air only coming through the front and floor vents. When I hit the button for the defrost nothing happens, hit it for face and I can see the arm on the bilevel door moving, same for face and feet. Has anyone had this happen? Thanks in Advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk