What's new

Misfire at constant rpm

Reaction score
Country
Hi guys, my car has developed a misfire over the last few days, first started doing it in 3rd/4th going around 25-30 but it now does it in all gears where my revs have been sat at a certain for a length of time.

I'm gonna pull the plugs to check those out and I've got a old spare set I can put in to see if it changes anything. Next thing would be coilpacks right?

What's the best aftermarket coils I can get without spending big money?

Thanks, Leo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Country
Could be a range of different things, Try the paperclip trick to read for codes.

I've got a set of OEM coils off my car that are fine, I upgraded to Splitfire when I had a misfire issue, turns out my packs were fine and it was a spark plug issue.

If you think its your plug and you'd like them drop me a message, Coils are a common failure on these cars.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Check the plugs, I had a loose one which gave an intermittent miss until it fired the plug out of the head through my airbrushed cover :(

coilpacks normally miss miss as soon as the boost kicks in at about 3k rpm and make the car sound like an Impreza

Reaction score
Country
Check the plugs, I had a loose one which gave an intermittent miss until it fired the plug out of the head through my airbrushed cover :(

coilpacks normally miss miss as soon as the boost kicks in at about 3k rpm and make the car sound like an Impreza

Reaction score
Country
Yeah I'll check the plugs when I get in.

Are there any risks in doing the paper clip trick for codes? I don't wanna ruin my ecu

Reaction score
Country
No its fine! just make sure you bridge the correct 2! I had to do it a couple of weeks ago, Its fairly easy.

Because of the shape on the OBD port you can't really get it wrong.

:) but definitely check plugs as its likely either that or coils.

Reaction score
Country
I did the paper clip trick earlier and got fault code #55 which is 'no fault'

Soon as I get time I'll pull the plugs out but could the fact there's no fault code point towards bad fuel? I use tesco 99 and never had any issues

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
I had a very light misfire on partial throttle, cruising along at a constant speed. It was my air flow meter.

A faulty Coil pack are normally shown at full throttle, coming onto boost.

Reaction score
Country
Spent some time on it yesterday:

Checked plug condition and gaps, checked for crap on maf sensor, changed fuel filter and put shell nitro + in instead of tesco 99. The problem seams to have gone so I'm assuming it's the fuel.

It's already got splitfire coils so good job I didn't order a set