What's new

Battery Relocation, how to...

Reaction score
Country
I'm looking for a 'how to' guide to help me relocate my battery to the boot. I've had a look through the useful threads section and can't find anything there.

I just need a rough guide so I know which wires need to go where. Also, I could do with some advice on which cables to buy (what guage), do I need to install any fuses? Which connectors to buy etc.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers :)

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
I have just recently done this myself . It's fairly easy tbh I will try and dig out my receipts over the weekend for cable sizes, fuse etc but basically you have a connector to link the new power cable to the old power cable, run the cable to the boot have a big fuse as near to the battery as possible then earth it somewhere good in the boot . Simples

drifter

Reaction score
Country
When I did it in my old car I bought everything from vehicle wiring products. I might be able to dig out a receipt with all the parts. The other way is to rip the cable and fuse out of a BMW in a scrappy :)

Reaction score
Country
Ideal, cheers for your help. Sounds really straightforward actually. Yeah if you could find out cables sizes etc for me that would be amazing! How much roughly did you spend on cable and other parts etc??

drifter

Reaction score
Country
About £70 from memory, but that didn't include the tray to hold the battery in place. Some people use a sealed battery box, but I just made a tray at work :)

Reaction score
Country
That doesn't sound too bad. Not too expensive. I've found a few places to buy cables and fittings etc but still not too sure on what size wire I need to be using and how much of it I need...

Reaction score
Country
Find an e36 at some wreckers and take out the aux b+ jump terminal while your at it. You can use that to connect all your cables in the engine bay and make life much easier.

drifter

Reaction score
Country
That's pretty much what I bought a few years back when it was a bit cheaper. Some people suggest going with smaller cable etc, but I'd rather be well on the oversize side seeing as if this goes wrong it could burn the car to the ground :wack: