What's new

Main relay wont close but car starts when held closed.

Reaction score
Country
Having trouble with no spark in my s15 so car wont start. Iv narrowed it down too the brown relay behind my ecu not closing.If i hold it closed by hand it will start but other than that it wont.I tried two other ecus also but no use.there is 24v on one pin on either side of the relay with the ignition on..any other cause of this relay not working? Was sure it would be a ecu faulty.thanks in advance

Reaction score
Country
Are you sure the relay is not faulty? I know its stating the obvious. also have you done any wiring yourself recently that may affected it such as EBC install or gauges that have to tap into wires in that area, could be worth a look. Or did it just one day decide not to start?

Reaction score
Country
Just decidednot to start one day and i have tried a diffrent relay..i did no wiring either so its a strange one

Reaction score
Country
any damp/wet in footwell? check gromits are secure. the joys of old cars lol, is anything shorting/blowing fuses

Reaction score
Country
Footwell was a tiny bit damp from sitting up but just the floor carpet..no fuses blown and when i start it by holding the relay closed the car runs perfect :/

Reaction score
Country
if the floor carpet was damp then moisture is getting in somewhere. are all the voltages correct going to the relay? that's normally why relays dont open/close because they have the wrong voltage going to them. My bet is that a connection has got damp in it or the pins have corroded and are bridging somewhere on that part of the loom

Reaction score
Country
Any chance you know what voltages i should.be getting at the relay at each pin?