What's new

Speedo dropping to 0

Reaction score
Country
So over the last few days my speedo has started cutting out and dropping to 0. It does this pretty randomly. Seems to be worse when I'm going slow and the road is more bumpy, so I'm guessing I've got a loose connection or something.

I imagine I must have a kph->mph convertor spliced in somewhere so that might be a good starting point. Is that likely to be behind the cluster or somewhere else? Are there guides to removing the cluster somewhere?

Cheers!

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
Just to pitch in on this and give some extra context. The ECU (Apexi Power FC) failed recently causing the car to not start, then a few hours later, it did. Given the ECU has been pulled out (prior to this) for sake of tuning, and then again once it failed and it seems like a bad earth or loose wire, I would suggest this is the first place to have a look. The speed converters are pretty simple and unlikely to cause intermittent faults if they've proven themselves to work once installed (imo).

Reaction score
Country
on the extremely slight chance it is a broken speed sensor, I have one for sale lol

Reaction score
Country
Think I might have got somewhere. ECU refused to power up again yesterday so put the car on IGN2 (which is when it should power up) and started systematically 'wiggling' stuff to see if anything happened.

When I moved the main loom as it passes throught he firewall on the passenger side the Apexi sprung to life. Looking at it more closely the rubber grommet wasn't in place, so I wonder if some insulation has worn off one of the wires causing a short if the loom is in a specific place.

Couldn't see all the way round, so for now I've fixed the grommit back in place (which would move any rubbed wire away from the metal). No issues with ECU or speedo today at all.

I really need to get the dash out and inspect the loom properly, while at the same time running cables better etc.