What's new

Cat 1 Alarm With Turbo Timer

J

japcar_junkie

Does anyone know of a good Cat 1 alarm system that would be compatible with a Blitz turbo timer already fitted to my car. It was imported over from japan with the turbo timer already fitted but no security and i would like to still be able to use both pieces of kit together

I'v read on the net that the Clifford Concept 650 has a turbo timer add on but as i already have this i dont know if it can also be conected up via the same input/output.

Any suggestions. Cheers

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
:nod: Clifford.

Do you do lots of urban driving? As in 30 limits for several minutes before you reach the end of your journey? If you do, dump the TT instead and just wait a minute or so to turn off if you've just razzed it.

Besides, the oil cooking on the turbine issue which TTs are supposed to be there to avoid (by letting your turbo cool whilst fluid it still flowing) is much more important for sleeve bearing turbos than BB turbos.

Sleeve bearing turbos rely on a cushion of oil to constantly suspend the turbine shaft within the bearing surface. So the oil supply is vital to the smooth running of the turbo. Burnt oil can mean jammed turbine.

Ball bearing turbos hold the turbine shaft in place by ball bearings. As such, they require very low amounts of oil and pressure to lubricate them. This reduce their wear considerably during switch on/off. However, the water supply is imperative, as it does the majority of the cooling.

So, TTs are less necessary on BB turbos than non-BB (sleeve) turbos and Hybrids (a mixture of BB and sleeve).

J

japcar_junkie

I take y point mate, like you said, there doesnt seem much point in having one as long as the cars left to rest before switch off. But as its already fitted it would be nice to keep it on and find a compatible cat 1 save having to remove it altogether (guess you can tell i like my gadgets), plus being as im normally running late for work most mornings i'd find it hard to sit on the carpark for 30-60 sec's waiting ;)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
You might change your mind when you see the price of the Clifford fitted with the TT option...

Plus an important factor to remember is that TTs are illegal when used to keep your car running whilst unattended. This is why they are removed for the ESVA...

J

japcar_junkie

from what i could find, the comcept 650 was fitted for ?350, and then to have the added option of the TT it was an extra ?40, but as i already have on, i thought it might be possible to connect it up to one of the outputs.

As this alarm is a Cat 1 and comes with the TT i didnt think it would affect the requirement by the insurer.

Reaction score
i paid ?430 to have a lazerline Cat1 removed, the concept 650 fitted, with the tilt motion sensor and the turbo timer.

i had a blitz timer on mine, but the TT option was only an extra ?15!

Well worth it i think.....

it'll cost just as much to have your turbo timer wired in, because it just works by a timed delay on a relay switch. which will still need to be fitted to keep your current timer power feed "alive" whist the key is out!

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I'm probably a bit biassed when it comes to TTs. I had one on the S14 and found it unnecessary for my driving style/journeys. I just feel they are a fad gadget, more for showing off than actually useful...

If it were me, I'd take it off, sell it and put the money towards a proper mod... :p

Reaction score
the extra cost to have it fitted with my like i say, was ?15.....

so the blitz is removed... and can be sold.... i keep forgetting to do it though...haha

J

japcar_junkie

Just got off the phone to Adrian Flux to sort out my insurance, i asked about the turbo timer issue with a cat 1 alarm and if the fiiting invalidated this. I was told that this is fine and aslong as the alarm had the output function for a TT then the Cat 1 status is still accepted, not sure if this aplies to all insurers though.

J

japcar_junkie

Not sure about the toad alarm but i know it includes the cat 1 cliffords and also the viper range.

Reaction score
clifford is a sister company of viper..... the viper range is more american based.

although, the clifford is digital, and the viper are still analouge!

Reaction score
haha, too true!!!

clifford are going to be bringing out a full digital pager version of their system though! :)

Reaction score
the toad does have a timed out put on it, there for... it can have turbo timer option.

basically, all it is, is a relay on a timed ignition delayed output. keeps the ignition on, till the delay has counted down. mine is also controlled by the headlight button on my fob, so i can turn it off too when walking away from the car if i like...