What's new

Extending Positive battery Terminal

Reaction score
Country
Bought an FMIC recently and a smaller battery, just have noticed the positive terminal from the battery isn't long enough.

What's the best way to extend this?

Reaction score
Country
It is, however when placed back to cut a hole in the battery tray for the piping, the terminal doesn't reach.
Some front mount kits include extenders, mine unfortunately doesn't.

Reaction score
Country
Are the terminals the correct way around? Apologies if this is telling you to suck eggs but you know they come in reverse polarity options too, right?

Reaction score
Country
They are the correct way, if the polarities were the other way around the positive terminal would be even further away.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Reaction score
Website
www.crossbarryprecision.com
Country
Like john said, a popular way of cutting corners is cut a hole in the fuse box and it should reach :) you could also buy an extended battery cable or do the best (most time consuming) option of relocating the battery to the booth which will distribute the weight better :thumbs:

Reaction score
Country
Yea my next suggestion is relocation. After I laid out everything I want to do to my car in my head, I decided getting the battery out of the way is a far superior way to overcome a lot of problems in the engine bay. Oil filter relocation, oil cooler, fmic, larger battery capacity, weight distribution. The list goes on in favour of relocating

Reaction score
Country
Unless your car is a fully honed drift/race car, relocating the battery to the boot for the purpose of weight distribution is a bit pointless IMO.

As for the cable I think re routing it through the fuse box is a good shout as extending the cable could be quite a ball ache making sure the connections are good

Reaction score
Country
Unless your car is a fully honed drift/race car, relocating the battery to the boot for the purpose of weight distribution is a bit pointless IMO.
I disagree entirely. There are lots of valid reason for relocating. If you're going to do something, don't do it half assed, right?

Reaction score
Country
I didn't think it would fit through the fusebox, I'll have to look at that option when I'm not in work.
Damn 12 hour shifts

Reaction score
Country

As for the cable I think re routing it through the fuse box is a good shout as extending the cable could be quite a ball ache making sure the connections are good
BMW & Mercs have theirs in the boot.... besides it frees up space for things like catch cans or other overflow reservoirs if you want a better air intake collection area, helps clean up the engine bay

Reaction score
Country
I didn't think it would fit through the fusebox, I'll have to look at that option when I'm not in work.
Damn 12 hour shifts
pop the lid on the fuse box and that big terminal on the top left hand side (standing by the FR wheel) is your + terminal along with a smaller wire which you see once you peel back a bit of the casing........ battery wires are not hard to make, some 50mm2 cable from any welding/engineering shop and some 50mm2 lugs to join wire to wire along with same sized spades and you can do anything.......... you can even relocated your battery to the boot ;)

Reaction score
One of the biggest reasons for relocating the battery to the boot is you can put a normal size battery in with decent CCA's, instead of a small battery sideways that wont last as long.It also means you cool pipe from the FMIC is not pinned hard against your battery. I had no problem getting my positive terminal clamp fitting on to the battery as it was up hard against my fuse box anyway..

Reaction score
Country
They also are sunk below the floor which gets the weight lower and means you would never know it was even there.

Good thread though, I need to alter my positive lead after fitting FMIC and squeezing the battery in at a stupid angle, neither of the leads reach any more.

Reaction score
Country
So, sorted this today, simple job really. Only the two wires going into the fuse box are the problem, the wire from the alternator is long enough anyway.

I'll try to give a quick step by step on the other two.

Unclip them from the red battery terminal block.

Take the lid off the fuse box, you will see three separate rows of relays/fuses. Unclip them from the box and lift them up and out the way. start with the one nearest the wing, you will need to undo the 12mm nut in the corner and take the wire off.

You will see those two wires connect to the two larger boards, and they are also both connected inside the box anyway!? Pull the wires back into the box area, the plugs won't fit through the hole so you need to open up the flap, get a screwdriver in there and pry it open.

Get a nice big drill and put a hole in the bottom of the box, underneath where the wires connect to the boards. Feed the plugs back through there, plug them back into the battery terminal , clip the fuse box back together. You now have quite a bit more length and should have no problem connecting the battery even with the terminals on the far side.