What's new

apexi powerfc vs d-jetro

G

gunner93

Sill,

How many base maps are there on a PFC? Are they good enough on a mild modded car without dyno tuning? Is it possible to street tune my car using the hand held commander?

Last edited:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I still have my Emanage connected (but zeroed). The idea is that, now I have an accurate custom chip, I can use the Emanage to make minor adjustments and avoid having to get the chip remapped. It would cope with these adjustments much better because there wouldn't be much variation from the base map :)

P

Paul2x

Sill,

How many base maps are there on a PFC? Are they good enough on a mild modded car without dyno tuning? Is it possible to street tune my car using the hand held commander?

Only one base map, just so you can drive the car under normal conditions untill you tune it for your set-up.

Yes , many guys street tune w/ the commander, it's just a pain in the a$$ ,and your limited to only changing one cell at a time vs. blocks of cells with the Apex' software, but it's done all the time.

At the end of the day reguardless what you end up getting, Rom-tune, PFC, E-manage, etc.....a tune is the #1 spot you sould not skimp on.

I've seen several cars w/ all sorts of crazy mods' get left behind by cars with basic mods and a good tunes b/c they half a$$ on the tune.

If $$ is a issue , street tune w/ the commander then when you get some more $$ have some one with the Pro' software tune it on a dyno.

Remember your mods' are only as good as the tune behind them.

S

sillbeers15

Gunner93,

Like Paul said, there is one basemap for SR20DET (S14A & S15 common) which is sort so like the stock ECU map before you or your tunner set hands on it.

If your tunner does not have the PowerFC Pro software through Apexi's authorised agents then you can programe the PowerFC through the commander. The PowerFC Pro software allows you to open up more windows and fine tune further the fuel and spark maps beyond the commander.

You store one map in PowerFC under normal mode. If you use the boost controller option, you can store up to 4 maps at the 4 boost memory storage options. So, U can store one at 0.8bar, one at 1.0bar, another at 1.2bar and next 1.2 bar for track use.

If you find that you're unhappy about the tunning or sense something seriously wrong, you just need to initalise the commander and all settings go back to the basemap supplier by PowerfC by default.

The commander instructions are in japanese but it is not difficult to figure which is what after a while.

S

sillbeers15

Nicely,
That seems like a nice option to hook up e-manage to your tuned ROM.

I was once considering the option of running MOTEC M4 w. PowerFC. The motec will only control injectors and spark while PowerFc control the rest!

P

Paul2x

Nicely,
That seems like a nice option to hook up e-manage to your tuned ROM.

I was once considering the option of running MOTEC M4 w. PowerFC. The motec will only control injectors and spark while PowerFc control the rest!
Yeah it seems to be the new trend, The new thing here for local tuners is to run HKS V-Pro and Power FC together, for their High HP projects.

They use the PFC in place of the ECU to run the car and the V-Pro for the Tuning maps.

lol who knows.

P

Paul2x

Gunner93,

You store one map in PowerFC under normal mode. If you use the boost controller option, you can store up to 4 maps at the 4 boost memory storage options. So, U can store one at 0.8bar, one at 1.0bar, another at 1.2bar and next 1.2 bar for track use.
Can you store 4 different actual maps? or just 4 different boost settings to run on the existing map??

:D

S

sillbeers15

It should be 4 maps as I remembered my tunner individually changing the fuel and ingition maps. But that was some years ago. I'm one of those that would prefer to leave the map and boost setting alone after everything is set properly.

P

Paul2x

It should be 4 maps as I remembered my tunner individually changing the fuel and ingition maps. But that was some years ago. I'm one of those that would prefer to leave the map and boost setting alone after everything is set properly.

I aggree complete, one's its' tuned I have no idea why people feel that they need to adjust settings or change boost..LOL ...Just asking for trouble.

I'll look into the seperate maps, I think U can save different boost levels but not different maps w/ the PFC.

but I hope i'm wrong :D, Multi maps would be cool. :thumbs:

jp

Reaction score
Website
www.sxoc.com
Country
There's one other "safety" aspect to mention about the benefits of the D-Jetro: if you have a boost-leak & an AFM, it'll throw your fuelling into chaos whereas if the MAP sensor on the D-Jetro notices a drop in pressure it just adjusts the fuelling accordingly so you'll have less power (obviously) but at least you won't be overfuelling & your ECU won't be wondering what's going on! :)

I've been told you can squeez out a few more bhp from a MAP-sensro-based ECU as well as they're more accurate than the AFMs, for the reason above mainly.

I run the S15 D-Jetro on my S14a (wiring loom adjusted accordingly for UK-Spec! ;)) & it doesn't have the spluttery problems it had before at 1400-1700rpm crawling along in traffic that it did with the Z32 AFM.

Can someone confirm whether or not you can have different maps for the boost-controller add-on as it'd be great to have 1 map for E85 & 1 for 95RON if I could have the option! :D

P

Paul2x

JPO brought up another good point... If you pop a intercooler pipe off w/ a AFM car....you not going anywhere until you fix it.

But if you don't have a AFM you can still make it home with no issues.

That was a nice treat when I heard my pipe pop off.....was so happy I could still drive the car home.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Yeah, but that's part of the fun. Everyone should experience the full effect of a popped IC pipe! :D The first, and only, time that happened to me, I got home OK. Just couldn't rev higher than about 2500-3000rpm :p

P

Paul2x

Yeah, but that's part of the fun. Everyone should experience the full effect of a popped IC pipe! :D The first, and only, time that happened to me, I got home OK. Just couldn't rev higher than about 2500-3000rpm :p
LOL :D

jp

Reaction score
Website
www.sxoc.com
Country
I have to say I've experienced the nearest thing: a popped MAP sensor pipe! :wack: Couldn't figure out where the hissing noise was coming from! :D Eventually copped it & despite that the car (as you say) not going over 3k rpm! Ironically I was showing some RX club lads what a reliable performance car was like! :rolleyes: :eek: Didn't say that to them but we had a laugh about it all the same! First time that's happened anyway! :|