What's new

DEPO Gauges

Reaction score
Country
Hi guys, looking at buying some depo gauges and on their website is says they all come with all the required bits to make them work. I was wondering that for the oil temp/pressure gauges do they supply a sandwich plate or do you need to buy one extra as they provide the oil sensor?

alternatively do the tap into the oil system somewhere other than the oil filter?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DEPO-raci...d=100005&prg=1048&rk=1&rkt=5&sd=300844605331&

Reaction score
Country
At that price I'd doubt they come with a sandwich plate. No brands I've ever come across do.

After my hours of research on this topic, I'd also advise against a sandwich plate anyway. They're conducive to snapping off

Reaction score
Country
At that price I'd doubt they come with a sandwich plate. No brands I've ever come across do.

After my hours of research on this topic, I'd also advise against a sandwich plate anyway. They're conducive to snapping off
really never heard that, a good billet alloy CNC machined job must be stronger then the factory alloy job, a Chinese nasty might be another story

Reaction score
Country
I tend to look into things a hell of a lot when I'm up to f*** all at work and the number of people all over the place that have had the threads shear off after tightening the oil filter back up and not realising they're tightening the sandwhich plate a little bit more each time is a lot. I'll be fitting an oil block adapter when I get round to it. I just don't like the idea of piggy-backing the filter.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@4ndy_hunt
The Depo gauges will come with the sensors but you will need a sandwich plate (or use an another option) to connect into the oil system. When I first got my S15 it had a sensor in within a plug in the sump (cables and gauge was removed so I don't know what it was measuring) could be a n idea. I currently have a temp sensor and pressure sensor on a sandwich plate and I know fair few people who do also with no problems. Worst I have seen is a little bit of weeping around the plate/filter. I have found that it pushes the filter closer to the side wall which can make it a bit difficult to remove thou. I do have a Mazwork block adapter so I will be running a relocation and oil cooler set up in the near future.

Reaction score
Country
Where do people recommend on buying a sandwich plate from? I had a quick look on eBay (worst place to start I know) and there was only 2 on there but from America and they had imperial threads which is obviously no use to me

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@4ndy_hunt
try Think Automotive they do mocal stuff. http://www.thinkauto.com/
or I have used torques_uk on ebay as they do lots of adapters so you can change sizes and threads as required.
think mine is a depo sandwich plate however i got sent the wrong center and did not notice till much later then had to find a center that would fit. lol

Reaction score
Country
I tend to look into things a hell of a lot when I'm up to f*** all at work and the number of people all over the place that have had the threads shear off after tightening the oil filter back up and not realising they're tightening the sandwhich plate a little bit more each time is a lot. I'll be fitting an oil block adapter when I get round to it. I just don't like the idea of piggy-backing the filter.
im with ya now

Reaction score
Country
Just as a double check, are SR oil filters M20XP1.5 thread size? Ive been on about 10 different forums via google and have got about 3 different answers :(

Reaction score
Country
Right after lots of shopping around i have decided to buy these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160823452574?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120962281317?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301058812032?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

was going to buy separate gauges but still want some vents for the AC when we have a scorching summer.... so come may when its still freezing I will probably buy more gauges haha!

Thanks for all the useful help and links guys :)

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@4ndy_hunt
cool, I have also got Depo stuff from xenon-uk the turn round on both of the company's is pretty quick.

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Yeah SR's have two different pitch thread for the filters, "straight" cam (older Redtop non vvt) are different from our s15 bent cam vvt engines. With the block adaptors/oil relocater kits, some use a different thread on the filter side. So you have to run a RB or CA filter.

Thats why I don't like those kits, I hate the idea of oil having to travel further before it reaches the engine.

I would be tempted to try and find an oil pressure feed on the block, but would think the only place would be the original oil light sender.
For oil temp the bung in the sump can be modified to hold the sensor. Or my greddy sump has a thread tapped already. But temp on the sump will be lower than the oil temp in engine so bear that in mind!

Reaction score
Country
surely a sandwich plate will make no difference to the oil flowing around the engine, I mean people run cooler kits (I know there is an increased volume for oil) but the situation is still the same. Having the oil temp on the sump would also surely be pointless as as you said the temperature would be lower than the engine oil temperature therefore rendering the reading a bit useless but also when the engine is running there is next to no oil left in the sump anyway?

Reaction score
Country
A bit late if its got too hot in the sump though...
Yes. Precisely. It tells you if your oil cooler is working or not etc though. There's a school of thought for every conceivable location. Same with coolant temp, temp coming out of block or temp coming out of radiator? Both give you relevant information

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
surely a sandwich plate will make no difference to the oil flowing around the engine, I mean people run cooler kits (I know there is an increased volume for oil) but the situation is still the same. Having the oil temp on the sump would also surely be pointless as as you said the temperature would be lower than the engine oil temperature therefore rendering the reading a bit useless but also when the engine is running there is next to no oil left in the sump anyway?
Yeah sandwich plate is fine, its just a personal thing with the extra oil stuff! Sandwich plate is best option for sure, with temp sender and pressure Seder.

Also sump temp is on average only 5 degrees cooler so really not too bad!