What's new

Air Flow Meter question

Reaction score
Possibly a dumb question but anyway.... Are the AFMs the exact same on the spec S and spec R or are they different? Are the codes different etc.

Reaction score
Country
before you do moving your afm, guessing you have removed the factory airbox and all that, be careful which orientation you have the AFM at as it will affect air readings being that you have a de

Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
you should be able to pick up one of those second hand for next to nothing since its not a high end thing getting a new one for a DE is a waste of good money...... i sold a DE one about 4 years ago for $30 NZD, worked perfectly fine

if you want me to ask if they have a AFM in that PN just let me know

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/nissan/other/auction-695171897.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/nissan/exterior/auction-697396535.htm

also if your AFM is causing you problems have you tried to clean it with electrical contact cleaner?

Last edited:
Reaction score
you should be able to pick up one of those second hand for next to nothing since its not a high end thing getting a new one for a DE is a waste of good money...... i sold a DE one about 4 years ago for $30 NZD, worked perfectly fine

if you want me to ask if they have a AFM in that PN just let me know

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/nissan/other/auction-695171897.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/nissan/exterior/auction-697396535.htm

also if your AFM is causing you problems have you tried to clean it with electrical contact cleaner?
Cheers for that offer dude but I've found some on Yahoo auctions an I'm gonna get one through Jesse Streeter. Gonna stick with used for the time being and see how I get on.
I tried cleaning it several times with electrical contact cleaner but it didnt help and it's been getting progressively worse.

I've been told from talking to a mechanic friend that it's my cone filter (HKS hi flow) that caused the issue so im thinking of switching back to standard air box.

Ever have any experience with induction kits causing AFMs to fail?

Reaction score
Country
Cheers for that offer dude but I've found some on Yahoo auctions an I'm gonna get one through Jesse Streeter. Gonna stick with used for the time being and see how I get on.
I tried cleaning it several times with electrical contact cleaner but it didnt help and it's been getting progressively worse.

I've been told from talking to a mechanic friend that it's my cone filter (HKS hi flow) that caused the issue so im thinking of switching back to standard air box.

Ever have any experience with induction kits causing AFMs to fail?
afm fail....... let me guess you car is struggling to rev under load

Reaction score
Country
first remove the filter then start it again, see how it idles. if its still rough then its defiantly not your afm postion. rough idle pluged in means it got stuck on a voltage somehwere and cannot get off it, have you put a multimeter in the rear of the plugs and watched it, one voltage setting is for idle then a increasing and deceasing voltage is for rev changes, if the voltage is not moving then you defiantly have a faulty afm

Reaction score
I've tried just about every position the AFM wiring will allow and it hasn't improved the situation at all. Ran it with the filter off and the idle was still rough.

I haven't put a multimeter on it but I've had 2 mechanic friends have a quick yesterday look and they're both certain the AFM is faulty. They've never been wrong on anything else I've asked them so I'll trust they're judgement.

Thanks for the help