What's new

Passenger airbag fitting

Reaction score
Country
I had the pass airbag out to mess with the blower unit, anyway now I can't for the life of me get it to go back in flush with the dash top. It's sticking up at the back (closest to the screen) and if I whack it down on one side it pops up on the other. What is the secret to fitting it properly?
Cheers.

Reaction score
Country
Taking it to a certified mechanic.

Airbags are one of the few things you shouldn't be messing with imo. Especially not "whacking it with a hammer"

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Who said anything about hitting it with a hammer? Keep your assumptions to yourself.

I don't know what you expect a 'certified mechanic' to do about it on a car they will have never seen before, and with a bag that has been installed as per the FSM instructions anyway. If you don't have anything useful to say then say nothing at all.

Fact is, over the years of looking at S15s, I've seen heaps and heaps of them with ill fitting passenger airbags, there must be a knack to fitting it straight.

Reaction score
Country
as long as the battery is disconnected you'll be fine. IIRC there are 4 or 6 bolts that you have to undo around the edge of the air bag to get it out so can you not tighten them up to pull the air bag down?

Reaction score
Country
It's been disconnected for months lol. There are 6 bolts on the bottom that go onto the big dash beam. Mine are not the security torx type, just 12mm hex. These are the only ones mentioned in the manual, removed them and it doesn't budge at all. There are a further 3 10mm bolts a little further up, remove those and it popped right out. Tightening it all back down does not make the top sit down nicely though, and the smaller brackets have locating lugs which don't sit in quite right until bolted down firmly.
I'll have another crack at it later.

Reaction score
Country
I done some reading on this like you have and it does seem to be a very common problem

Reaction score
Country
Because when the airbag deploys the plastic cover comes flying out. If it isn't done properly it's going to slice your damn face off is all.

Apologies on the hammer thing. I read it in a rush and honestly thought that's what you typed lol