What's new

Possible stupid question to follow

Reaction score
Country
The stupidest questions are those that aren't asked though.

Should the Air con relay "click" audibly when the "AC" button is pushed, while the HVAC is on and blowing air and set to 18 degrees Celsius? Regardless of all other factors such as pressure in the system and engine running? If I'm reading the wiring diagram correctly then the answer should be yes.

Mine doesn't and hasn't blown cold air (read, compressor never engaged) since I've owned it.

If I test the relay with a multimeter, the two pins on the human/button side have continuity (although quite high resistance but that may be because of the coil inside) and the and the compressor side pins are open. I haven't had a chance to directly apply power to it because I don't have test leads or alligator clips to get into the tight space

Edit: yes I've checked the fuse.
Edit 2: the AC light turns on

Last edited:

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Pressures are vital in the AC system. If you have no gas in your AC then it will never work! You will never hear the AC pump/ compressor "click" in without any gas.

You need to get your system regased/refilled and tested for leaks. Only then can you check for faults.

99% of faults are lack of gas, then pressure sensor and then the valve block that sits in the firewall!

Reaction score
Country
I'm not listening for the compressor click though. I realise it won't engage without gas.

All I need to know is if the RELAY should click regardless of pressure, because mine isn't. I was under the impression from a look at the manuals that the pressure switch will prevent the compressor from engaging AFTER the relay engages in the sequence of events

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
Getting the Gas recharged is cheap so i would recommend that like sam has suggested as it may not be as simple as a stage of events. The ECU may do multiple tasks and request the relay and the compressor simultaneously. If the ECU then gets a NO from the pressure switch then it may stop the relay from working. However when i apply mine in the s15 and the stagea i hear a "click" not sure if thats the relay of the actual compressor though.

Have you disconnected the AC compressor connector and put the multi meter on it when the switch is pressed? If your getting power there then its either the gas or a ****ed compressor / switch.

Reaction score
No it wont click, my condenser has a hole in it, me thinks from the larger radiator rubbing on a pipe, so no gas and no click...

Reaction score
Country
Dammit. I was hoping it would be easy to fix. I'll have to just take it to a shop. I can't be assed messing with the gas. Thanks all

Reaction score
Country
Just looked at the diagram again, the pressure switch is on the human/AC switch side of the relay. I thought it was on the compressor side. That would mean although the button is pushed, lack of pressure will prevent the relay from switching