What's new

Check Engine light - after nistune installing

Reaction score
Country
Hi guys,

I installed Nistune type 4 on my Spec R, after installation i saw that check engine light is on

As i know, my stock ecu was not tuned, but know something is wrong...

I also don't know, what unit is on top of stock ecu? (look at pic)

Maybe it's a some chip, or similar...

Reaction score
Country
It's manual, 1999 y

Can anybody look at the place where stock ecu is installed? I'm interested if this uknown unit is stock component

Reaction score
Country
But, it is stock component?

Have anybody checked this place?..

If this is really ABS control unit, here is another question.. After installation of nistune, fuel air ratio is rich, i can tell that only from visual, i saw that behind the car smoke is much black than in the past. And because AFR is rich check engine light is on.

At 28 july i will have wires for nistune and than i can exactly detect if AFR is not normal.

Any other ideas?

Reaction score
That's a completely different unit to what's in the picture with the stock ECU. I'll think you'll find that it is the Automatic ECU which piggy backs on the stock ECU. I did and Auto to manual conversion and that's what was on my ECU. That's one of the reason you couldn't put an after market ECU like a Power FC in an Auto because of the piggy back ECU.

Reaction score
Country
Ok then, i have the same box on top of my s15 and its a manual, so it might be that my gearbox have been swapped from automatic to manual then? Im sorry about this but im a bit confused....

Reaction score
Country
I just checked that from my silvia and it looks exactly the same, and prod year is -99 too... Wonder if it waries with different prod. years...

Reaction score
Country
That's good, i thought that unit was some chip tuning or smth... So, nistune is not in conflict with other units.

As i read in nistune type 4 (for silvia S15 ECU) is written same MAP as in the stock ecu, but why Check Engine light is on? if the MAPs is the same?

is it normal?

have you ever installed nistune? and after installation was some difference?

Reaction score
Country
On next week i'll receive nistune wires and i would check for fault codes and all settings for car

At first i'm going to fix AFR by nistune, and than i will look up fault codes

i will write everything here for experience

Reaction score
Country
Today i received nistune wires, so i connect it to the car, BUT... another problems here, nistune software did not connect to the ecu.

After long and terrible searches, i discovered new problem: my engine is running via LIMP MODE (this is builted program like a safe mode). When sr20det works via LIMP MODE nistune can not connect to it. Now i'm searching the reason why my engine works with that mode, the most common problem i think this is not corrected installation of nistune board.

Tommorow i'm going to open ecu box and check if there everything is normal