What's new

Where is the Wiper Amp located?? help with wipers :(

Reaction score
well im having a ball of misfortune with the car the last few months. last time i knew the wipers where working was 2 months ago the car has been parked est then.

now i noticed the wipers will only work at the hightest speed setting
and they will not return to the bottom of the window when you flick the leaver up it will just stop where ever you flick up the leaver.
also the washer jets dont work either.

i checked the 10amp fuse on the fuse bord for the wipers. and its grand checked the brown and white block connectors behind the steering wheel that plug into the stalk. and they are fully in...

i pulled off the washer jet motor and crossed it off a battery and it fired up so its defiantly working.

i thought myself it was a stalk problem as the wipers or the jets where not working but i changed the stalk today and there is no change in it.

now iv been told there is a wiper amp solenoid in the car, but i cannot find it its not in the engine bay as the rest of the s13 and s14's. any one know where it is?

or have any idea what could be up.

i Relocated the loom last week but all i did was take out the dash unplug the connectors and re routed it through a new hole in front of the drivers door and connected everything back up. i was very careful doing this and iv checked all the loom and its not damaged in any way. i have a feeling i may have stuffed something i the process but i want to check the amp first.

i have the service manual here and im looking through it it mentions the amp on EL-89 but dose not say where its located :/
hellllllpppppp :/

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
i'm pretty sure the Wiper Amp is in the stalk itself, the reason being is that INT VR+ and INT VP- for the variable wipe function on EL-89 shows as a direct connection to the Wiper Amp with no pin outs to the plug, so it must be in the stalk itself. The plug below E112-GY has all the pin outs for the Combination Switch (Front Wiper Switch) but nothing for the variable wipe which is only connected to the Wiper Amp, so I have to assume this in integral to the stalk.

On EL-87 it states that LO speed wipe is grounded through terminal 17 (body grounds E43, E57), output to the motor is through terminal 14 to motor terminal 2, so you should be able to put a meter on terminal 14 of the plug connection (E112-GY) and to ground and see a voltage (check also on terminal 2 of the wiper motor). It you don't see any change it could be that the combination switch is shot?

It say also on EL-87 that HI speed is through terminal 16 and wiper motor terminal 3, as the HI works check this and compair to LO switch position and the appropriate terminals.

There's a 1A fuse on LO and a 10A on HI and a 3A on Auto Stop (all on M10-E101), check all these fuses, not just the 10A.

For the washer switch, EL-89 shows ground via terminal 17 on the plug and output via terminal 18, put a meter on these and see if you get 12v. If not it's either a duff Wiper Amp or poor ground on E43,E57 or a poor connection on the wiper motor or power connection to the motor via Fuse Block M7 (E105), there's a 20A fuse in this FB but the same fuse is also powering the combination switch and we know HI speed is working so the fuse must be fine, so it's either a duff connection somewhere or a failing combination switch.

I just re-read that you changed the stalk, if i'm right and the combination switch contains the Wiper Amp then it's more likely a faulty connector block or ground.

Don't think this will help much but a few things to try...

Reaction score
thanks guys after alot of fannying about i realised the connectos on both the wiper motor and washer jet where corroded got them sorted tho :)