What's new

Gearbox reverse sensor wiring

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Hi guys, I'm after an answer from an electrical guru.

Now, what I am trying to do is to link in an external AV feed into my double DIN screen at the flicking of a switch. Dash mounted switch, not through the radio.

To keep the music on while this video feed is being displayed (HKS CAMP2) I need to fool the radio into thinking I have selected reverse, so the video I want will pop up as the 'reverse camera'

There is one wire from the radio that would go the gearbox reverse sensor, at the rear end of the gearbox next to the shifter. I don't want to touch this circuit, just make something that can replicate the signal the circuit produces when reverse is selected.

SO, how can I make a switch to fool the radio. I don't really know what signal it is expecting. It isn't like the gearbox one that is just a ground.

One other thing, TPS sensor wires. There are 3, can anyone tell me which one is which. My service manual wants to tell me there are 6 wires...

Reaction score
Country
I think I did something similar for my stereo. Not for AV input but video playback. It wanted a wire connected to the handbrake. I used a relay on start up which gave the stereo the thought the hand brake was on when it wasn't.
Obviously your going to want to have more control so you can do other things on your unit. I doubt its expecting anything other than some power so could you not wire up a switch so that when its on (completing the circuit) the screen comes on. Then of cutting the circuit screen goes off.
I think it's just expecting 12v. I might try drawing something as words just aren't as descriptive.

I'm far from an expert but I don't think it can be that complex.
StereoReverseSensor.jpg

Last edited:

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Ok, that I can probably handle. Just need to know what sort of voltage to hook up, and from what wire.

So you think it is expecting to see power when the reverse sensor is activated, or to see ground?

Will too much voltage fry anything?

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Well done Sony, good support. No mention of what voltage though. Better get my head in the Electronic Service manual to see about how the reverse sensor works. All I know atm is that there are 2 wires to it, unlike handbrake which is one.

Reaction score
Country
Connection Diagram 3 Label B
To the +12 V power terminal of the car’s rear
lamp lead (only when connecting the rear view​
camera)
http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4419668231.pdf
So when connected to the reverse light and the lights on the camera comes on. Reverse light goes out camera goes off.
So with a switch instead 12V in screen comes on when switch is on. When off no 12v so screen goes off.

Edit: 2 you say. I've missed that somewhere.

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Think I mis-identified the sensor. Was looking at the neutral one instead, lol.

That is a mega result that it is 12V, really easy switch to make. Thanks Sean!