What's new

Audio upgrade

Reaction score
Country
Hello boys and girls,

I want to upgrade the stereo in my S15 but it's been years since I've done anything like this so I'm after some recommendations.

Head unit:
I was looking at the Pioneer AVH-X5500BT. Anyone got any experience or recommend anything else? http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/25/109/281/AVH-X5500BT/page.html

Speakers:
Not a clue! 6.5" front and 6" rear correct? Want a bit of bass but don't need to cause structural damage to the surrounding buildings. Any recommendations? Will the head unit drive them or do I need an amp?

Sub:
I'm not a 17 year old in a Civic so don't want bass and nothing else but not against a sub. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Country
If they're not too far out of your budget the JL Audio C2 Components are truly fantastic, in the rears I'd recommend some 6x9's, can't go wrong with Alpine Type-G's and if you want some refined lows, the Focal Underseat Subwoofer is your best bet :)

Reaction score
Country
Thanks for the recommendation.
I'll take a look at those!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction score
Country
Sorry I didn't answer your question - the front doors are 6.5 inches, the rears I can't comment on as mine came with hilarious 80's pod speakers ^_^

Reaction score
Country
Alpine type R speakers are the bollocks if your not tight on budget, crisp, and nice bass.. I'm running all 4 off a Sony head unit.. And still sounds sweet. No amp. No sub.
They do do under seat subs? 6 inch, punchy bass, kenwood do one. Unless you want something that shakes the cars half a mile away???? Then u need something bigger IMO.

Reaction score
Country
Vibe, Alpine, Beat, Kenwood and Focal do under seat active subwoofers - The Focal outperforms all of them in terms of volume, clarity and responsiveness, but it's also the most expensive as you might have guessed - £200 for the 8" and £259 for the 10".

On the flipside you don't need to purchase an amplifier (£100~), an enclosure (£50~), nor wiring (£30~) which makes the package price a bargain if you want the lows but don't want the windows shaking.

I actually have a 6" Kenwood underseat subwoofer with what looks like all of the wiring - it came with my S15, it's for sale if you are on a budget :)

If you're ever near Bedford on a Saturday, drop by London Road and visit Autotronix, I'm there from 10am till 4pm and I can show you the works :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Thanks for the info guys.

And thanks for the offer Tseng. Bedford is a bit out of the way for me and don't think I'll make it over this weekend. Do you work there?

Reaction score
Country
Yup but only on Saturdays, I use my S15 as a demonstration vehicle for customers :cool:

Reaction score
Country
Can you pm me some prices on some of the things mentioned in this thread. Might be able to "keep it in the family" and give business to forum members rather than random online retailers.

Reaction score
Country
Sent :)

If anyone needs a quote for anything car-audio wise (Or how much items cost to fit) hit me with a PM and I'll can give you a rough idea of what you should be paying!