What's new

S15 OEM non HID and HID headlight housing

Reaction score
Country
I've done a search and haven't found a straight answer. I've read that both the HID and non HID housing is exactly the same minus the ballast. Is this true?

Currently my S15 has OEM HID headlights. I just purchased some OEM non HID headlights from the US and want to use them since they are brand new. Doing a quick look over (during lunch break), they look exactly the same. The non HID headlights has the cutouts on the bottom side to hold the ballast. Are the lenses the same?

Reaction score
Country
No that is incorrect. The HID version had a different bulb housing (DS2) so you will not be able to fit the HID bulb to the non HID headlight. The only way you can do it is instal an aftermarket HID kit to your new lights unfortunately :(

Hope that helps :)

Reaction score
Country
Yeah, I took my headlight off the car and compared them. It's possible, but way too much work, and too great a chance to do some major damage.

Has anyone done the headlight baked in the oven on a low temp to help soften up the glue to remove the lens trick?

If not, it looks like I'm going to have a set of non HID headlights for sale. About how much do they sell for?

I may even be looking to sell my OEM HID headlights to help in the purchase of a new set. The driver side is a bit cloudy, not sure how to get them cleaned up. I used the turtle wax headlight restorer, and they helped get they crud off, but the lens is still cloudy. The passenger side looks pretty good.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Yeah the oven bake does work but u have to be careful, found it easier to use a heat gun around the seal and use a flat driver /stanley knife to pull them apart. Use the polish on the inside of the lens , Then just re seal them after ( can heat up the old glue and add more to it)

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Hmmm not too sure mate i doubt it will get it hot enough. Try it while its on the car dude , you have access to the top if the light so try along the top edge see if it works.

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
Could clean up your old headlights, did it to mine came up mint. Basically sand them down with 800grit, then 1200grit. Once done buff with blemish compound and then polish. Come up brilliant and look brand new.

Just keep the front of the light wet when buffering it.

Reaction score
Country
I used the turtle wax restore kit, but it only goes up to 400 grit. Read on a Skyline forum a guy going all the way up to 2500 grit. Might end up giving it another go this weekend.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Yeah a 400 is stil quite corse and may leave some scratches, I would start will that then work up to he finer grades to get a nice smooth finish prob go 400-600-800-1200-and if its need more then maybe 1500 but 1200 should do the job