What's new

Speedometer and heater issues.......

Reaction score
Country
I just picked up my S15 last night and was aware of a couple issues prior to purchasing. This has pretty much been copy and pasted from another forum, but haven't gotten any replies yet. Hopefully I'll get some help here.

The first issue is the speedometer doesn't work. My S15 is a Spec S, but the seller had an S14 turbo engine and transmission installed back in Okinawa. He said that the wiring from the engine isn't long enough to reach to the back of the speedometer. I plan to take a look at this once I get my car, but I've never done an engine install, and don't know where to look. I plan to remove the dash and go from there. This doesn't seem like it'll be a major issue to resolve, but since I don't really know where to look, I might run into some problems. I just realized that perhaps I'll need an S14 speedometer to get it working. Will an S14 speedometer fit in an S15 dash?

The second issue deals with the heater/AC unit. It works just fine, but when I set the blowers to just the face/head setting, it won't initiate. You can hear the motor clicking, but it wont catch. All other settings work just fine, even face/feet. Again, once I get the car, I'll remove the dash and console and see if there is something I can do.

The third issue (I just found this out when I got the car home last night) is that there is no front bumper support/bracket. I'm worried that if something were to hit my front end, it would just crumple. It has an aftermarker intercooler installed, and I'm wondering if because of the intercooler, they couldn't put the support bar on. Anyone else ever run into this issue? Would I need to buy a bumper support and a new intercooler? I'll try and get some pics posted up tonight or this weekend.

Anyone have any guides/pictures that would help me out? Thanks in advance.

***Just a little side note, I haven't done too much mechanical work, but I am very mechanically inclined and I used to work in a body shop (for about 5 years), so I know how to tear a car apart and put it back together.***

Reaction score
Country
Reaction score
Country
Are you still using the S15 diff? They run a speed sensor which is where the speedometer gets its readings from...

Have a crawl under the back and see if it is plugged in?

Reaction score
Country
I will take a look as soon as I get home. All the other gauges work just fine, just not the speedo. I've been researching online and have ran into some threads where people had to splice wiring to make the S14 motor work with the S15 speedo. Hopefully I don't run into that issue.

Reaction score
Country
Thanks Luke. I'll definitly look into them. They don't have an option for shipping to an APO address. I sent them an email, but no reply yet.

Anyone else have any tips on how I might be able to get my speedo to work?

Reaction score
Country
no problems mate and if i can find anywhere else that does them ill let you no

Reaction score
Country
Ok, so a minor update on the speedo issue.

After speaking to an old high school friend of my wife's (who just so happens to work at RHDJapan), it made me think about the diff in my car, and if it is stock or not. I went back to the sale listing for my car (thankfully it's still up) and I found that he had an HKS Diff installed. Seeing as how the S15 speed sensor is located in the diff, this could be the cause of why my speedo isn't working. But since I have the 5 speed manual tranny from an S14, I should be able to hook up the speed sensor from the tranny. Now I still haven't had time to open up the dash and since I'm still waiting on my jack and stands to arrive, I haven't been able to look under the car. Hopefully everything is still intact and I'll be able to hook my speedo up to the tranny.

Does anyone know if an S15 speedo will hook up to an S14 speed sensor?

Reaction score
Country
New discovery.

I met up with the previous owner today because my road tax disc went to his box today. Yay! I can finally drive legally, lol. I was talking to him and apparently he had the ABS disconnected. That must be the reason why the speedo is not working. Now I just gotta figure out how to reconnect it. I'm assuming everything is still there setup, but not sure what was "disconnected". Hopefully it's just a fuse or a connection that needs to be made.

I also noticed some white smoke coming out of the back of the exhaust. I'm hoping its just water that sat I the exhaust while be bad it parked at his place. I'm gonna try to do an oil change this weekend and drive it around to see if it'll flush all the smoke out. I sure as **** hope it's nothing major in the engine.....

Reaction score
Country
haha drive legally lol so you been driving it then haha :rotfl:. mate you no this site has a downloadable manual in mechanical and bodywork if it will help you with your work

Reaction score
Country
I didn't really drive it all that much. I drove it last weekend to the wash and cleaned her up good. Then I took her to the gym last night, but as I was leaving I got a text from the previous owner saying he got the tax disk. So we met up and no I'm legal, :).

I will definitely be taking a look at the manual. It appears now I may have a head gasket issue now :(

Reaction score
Country
yea its so much nicer when your strait in a car haven't got to look over the shoulder or work on a catch me if you can basis haha, mate iam sorry to here bout the head gasket :( but stick at it cause its a good car and maybe try and make something good out of something bad and get a uprated head gasket or do something else in that area :)