What's new

Boost controlled by ECU. Yes or no?

Reaction score
Country
As my wishlist grows and grows, one thing I have on the list is an ECU and tune. Right now I'm running a turbosmart boost tee (Which is absolute crap. I have it on minimum setting and when I put my foot down I boost into a dangerously high 1.4 ish Bar. Not good). And have been looking out for a better boost controller. I'm not keen on manual as in my mind it is totally blind. The engine doesn't know what boost is being bled so I want something electronic.

Here's my question: Does anyone have any experience with boost being controlled by the ECU directly? Link ECUs offer this but I can't find any information on how good it is. I like the idea of being able to get a tune and having the boost curves dialled in according to the other engine parameters as opposed to a standalone EBC doing it's own thing.

This is a long way in the future of my car as I have other things to upgrade first (cooling, fueling, AFM) but I'd like to get it out of the way before I start budgeting for something that will end up not being beneficial.

Just on a side note, I'm not looking to race or drift this car at all. I just want as much safe, drivable power as possible

EDIT: I don't want to hear about Apexi FC. I've seen and heard nothing but utter rubbish regarding them. And they are overpriced for what little they offer.

Reaction score
Country
I have bought an Apexi Power FC ECU & Hand Controller, with the optional boost control kit, as i thought it would be a nice, neat setup. Speaking to Greg@ProTuner asking his advice on what other mod's to carry out before he maps my car, he advised me, that whilst the Apexi Power FC is great, the optional boost control kit is rubbish, and recommended to ditch it, and opt for a stand alone boost controller, such as an Apexi AVC-R, which is exactly what ive done.

So that's come from high authority on SR's.

As you mention it, my friend who turbo'd his EG6 Civic ran a LINK (G3 i believe?) ECU which controlled the boost and he couldn't recommend it highly enough.

Reaction score
You wont get a more effective way of controlling boost then a stand alone EBC. Dual soleniod is the best set up for constant boost throughout the full rev range. You will never have to worry about overboost/spike no matter what the air temps are.

Reaction score
Country
just get a second hand HKS ebc or one of those gizzmo things they arent top of the line but they will do the trick, until you buy something like a G4 which has its own built boost controller you just have to buy the solenoid to go with it once you do

Reaction score
Country
Cheers for the opinions, guys.

just get a second hand HKS ebc or one of those gizzmo things they arent top of the line but they will do the trick, until you buy something like a G4 which has its own built boost controller you just have to buy the solenoid to go with it once you do
This is basically what I was thinking about. Although as lame as it sounds, I'm happy with not putting my foot down until I can have the wishlist even partially fulfilled. Until I have a tune, my A/F ratios will still be out so an in-between boost controller to tide me over until I get the ECU will still not be ideal. Even on low stock boost I freak out that something will go bang if I put my foot down.

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
The all singing, all dancing, http://www.vi-pec.com/
Fasthands has this, and I'm the same in thinking that something might go bang if I dont get it properly tuned hence why I'm on standard boost until I can tie everything together with this.

Reaction score
Country
people............... lets clarify something, your cars will run FINE on the stock fuel map at 1bar boost providing you run 98OCT (even95) and a better fuel pump, they will run PERFECT with a retune to what ever ron you want and setup you have. Just dont overboost like people used to back in the 90's, that was the kind of thing where you run 20psi on a fuel map setup for 7psi. your car will NOT det unless you are a complete tool with your modifications. too many people on here freak out when they run 1 -2 psi over stock and worry about det and bla bla bla. how many SR's have people reported det on here killing there engines?. Only Muppetisem and random chance will ruin your cars. now go do a skid something

Reaction score
Country
That's the thing, like I said I am over posting. I also don't have any fuel upgrades. They're all on the wishlist still haha

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
I was running .9-1 bar of boost with a manual controller and it melted two plugs! Then I got air an fuel ratio gauge showing me I was running very lean in the mid revs. So I bought an electronic boost controller and straight away the lean spot went! So I really don't recommend a manual controller!

Reaction score
Country
manual control is not really a good idea as they tend to wear out rather quick which is what gives what sam has just mentioned, the only reasonable manual is GFB t as it does not use a spring for tension release but then you may as well just get a EBC, and with EBC the more money you pay the better peace of mind and longevity you will get from you engine and snail,

bit of advice with a EBC where the control unit in the cab has a boost line going to it, dont mount it anywhere where the CD player or heater will make it hot, as they seam to struggle to be consistent with the boost output

Reaction score
and with EBC the more money you pay the better peace of mind and longevity you will get from you engine and snail,
Simple but very benficial advise. Think of it as an investment in the future health of your turbo and motor. A small cost when you look at replacing an engine.