What's new

Broken o2 sensor?

Reaction score
Country
Hey,

last month i had my car re mapped and ever since then its been running rather rich from idle and throughout the entire rev range whether on boost or not. I ws told at the time my lambda sensor was 'dead' however i just plugged my laptop into the consult port and the sensor is giving a reading...

was sat at 0.010v the went down to 0.0v after around a minute but just up to 0.180v when the throttle was blipped. The AFR was at 14-15:1 at this time (first time ive seen it above 12 since the map). The AFR then sat at 11.9-12:1 when idling once the car had warmed up and the o2 sensor output was 0.150 or 0.160v.

The car is absolutely munching through petrol and i assumed it was the sensor that was to blame but it is actually giving an output which i though was odd for a 'dead' sensor.

Also, there are no current or stored fault codes on the ecu.

Can anyone advise if this is usual behaviour for the lambda sensor or if i have another issue that need addressed? :confused:

thanks in advance.

Last edited:

drifter

Reaction score
Country
The standard o2 sensor should be bouncing between 0 and 1 volt all the time. If it sits at nearly 0 all the time like yours it will be dead :) Have a word with Jez at H Dev, he sells decent replacements :) Stay away from the cheapos (£30ish) imo, used 2 in the past, both ****e :nod:

Reaction score
Country
Yeah i seen a Nissan dealer selling them on ebay for £50 which is decent.

So the sensor voltage should be fluctuating constantly- is there any other way i could test it?
Its just money is tight and i don't want to spend money on a sensor if its not definitely the problem.

Reaction score
Country
Checked it again after charging my (pathetically poor) laptop overnight and the voltage fluctuated a couple of time when i started the data scan program then it went flat to 0.000v and AFR was sat around 11.4:1. It was making the car misfire a few times too :s
I had a look at the sensor too and theres a dent in the outer metal casing- coincidence perhaps but it could possibly be damage to the ceramic element inside.

Think a new o2 sensor is next on the shopping list along side Okada projects or Splitfire coil packs.

Reaction score
Country
Those Okada coils look spangly :D Don't like the price much though :(

If you need coils take a look at these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YELLOW-JA...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item48419f417e

I'm still on standard coils even with the boost I run, if and when it starts to play up I'm gonna try the Yellow Jackets :)

I'm still on standard coils too but last twice i went for a map i've been told the coils are on there last legs. The yellow jackets look cool B) never heard of many people running them though