What's new

S15 randomly loses all electrical power when driving. Im stumped!! :/

R

RDMOORE

hi guys, hoping for some help here.

Will be driving along the motorway then all of a sudden car loses all power (engine doesnt stall it turns clean off, all dash lights go out). Once ive done an emergency stop, i take the key out and try to turn it on. No dash lights come on (but the radio and hazzard lights still work), the fuel pump doesnt prime, but when i turn the key all the way, the starter motor cranks over happily, but the car will not start, obviously not getting any fuel etc.

So i just sit awkwardly on the side of the motorway turning my key like a mad man, then randomly power will come back on (1-3 minutes later), like nothing ever happened, I can start the car and drive off perfectly. Happens twice on average in a 20 minute trip. Random as though.

Cars AHHGHGHGHHHHHHHHHH. love em and hate em

Any ideas???

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I would be checking all the grounds around the car, especially around the ECU. Is the car substantially lowered?

R

RDMOORE

Yeppp haha, but i dont believe its work through the plastic inner guards to be hitting the loom. If my jack would fit under the car i would check properly haha :/

I should add that i had driven the car about 7 times prior, but yesterday (when this first happened) was after the first time i washed the car? No under bonnet cleaning or abnormal water use. Weirdd

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Maybe some water in the fuse box. It is strange that it just cuts out. I would be having a good look around. Also check your negative battery terminal and the earths surounding it.