What's new

Defi racer gauge wiring

Reaction score
Country
So far i havent delved into the world of auto elec-trickery but some of you might have some ideas. I just got a defi racer boost gauge. Hooking up the sensor is easy enough but the four wires that need splicing in im not confident with. What is the best method to attach the wires and most importantly, where can i find the best sources for constant 12+, switched 12+, illuminated and ground? There should be some innovators here with some ideas. Any help is much appreciated

Reaction score
Country
It doesn't draw too much current from those lines? Do those piggyback fuse holders work very well?

S

Supernova

I have always wired gauges to the wiring at the back of the radio and never had a problem, and have wired plenty in my time!

Tbh, I just do a quick cut and hard wire, wrapped in insulation tape. Not the most pro job but never had a problem with them and you never see it anyway.

Reaction score
Country
That makes me cringe. I'm actually qualified to solder and crimp to an airworthyness standard so That's definitely not the go lol

S

Supernova

Well, of course if you have the tools, soldering is the preferred way! But never had any problems cutting and insulation over the years and I have installed many electrical items in many cars in my time :p

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
It seems there are a few aircraft trained people on here (me being one) Please at least solder the connections. A cheap soldering iron is significantly better than just twisting the wires.

Reaction score
Country
As much as I'd like to solder, I think I'm going to go with the second best option: crimping. The real question at hand though is where to crimp. I don't want to draw too much current from anywhere and having a quick look at the power cable it doesn't look like it'll reach the stereo. Would tapping into the vehicle side of the instrument cluster harness be acceptable?

Reaction score
Country
Ok, quick update and closed case [for now]: I ended up tapping into the stereo. Reasons for this:
1. I know which three wires I needed to tap because they are easy to figure out
2. I spent an hour trying to understand the wiring diagrams in the service manual but to no avail. They're the most difficult documents to wrap your head around

The only downside is that I had to extend the power wires by crimping a splice onto each one which isn't ideal. The least connections the better but I can fix that later on if need be by soldering a better gauge wire on. (the extensions are quite thin, also not ideal)

I also need a better ground connection as it is currently wrapped around the stereo's ground lead.

Cheers for that idea, though, supernova

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
It's the ground that usually becomes a problem over time.

I'd crimp a small ring terminal (red one should fit the narrow wire gauge you are using). Using a nut and bolt, get it properly attached to a metal part around your centre console area and it'll never come loose!

Reaction score
Country
Yea I'm worried about all of them really. Once I figure out the wiring diagrams I'll go to the extra effort to get them hard-wired in properly instead of piggybacking the stereo