What's new

Strange electrical problem when starting

Reaction score
Country
As I turn the key to start, the lights on the dials flicker and I get a clicking sound from within the car. Had a couple of times where it has been hard to start. I have checked my earths and they all seem to be good. Once the car is running it seems to drive fine and pulls like it should. Anyone had this kind of problem before????

Thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
Country
I have checked for any voltage drop when the starter it turned and it is what I would expect so I don't think it is. Battery is about a year old, but it's a Halfords calcium battery so should last way longer than that. I'm starting to think it might be the cable going to the starter as I had to move it the other day to add another cable into the junction box for my fan set. So maybe it has a dodgy conection at the box end. Will have another mess around today and hopefully find the fault :)

Reaction score
Country
I know you've said you've checked your earths, because that's always what I say when i get a stupid electrical fault... but i would literally check all your earths again.. pain in the ass i know, but it usually is one of them..

Reaction score
Country
I have fixed it now, it was to do with the earth that comes off the inlet manifold. Basically because I have had the front of the car powdercoated there is a high resistance between the slam Pannel and the chassis of the car which the negative terminal from the battery is now connected too. So my earth to the slam Pannel was fine, but the link from the slam Pannel to the rest of the car was rubbish :( all done now though :)