What's new

How to: Check S15 Fault Codes - Paperclip Method

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Worth giving jez a call at Horsham developments a call as he's the sr20 expert and may point out how to bypass it!

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Well just fitted the new O2 sensor. Reset the ecu. Reconnected the battery.

Did the paper clip trick to check the codes had reset - 55 - no faults

Went for a test drive, no noticeable change. Definite lack of power, although There's a kick at 5k where the power increases.

Returned home, did the paper clip trick again - 34 - knock sensor

Not sure where to go from here. The knock sensor is going to be an absolute b**^h of a job to change!
Since you're in the West Mids mate I'd definitely recommend Neils Autos - my mate Josh works there and sorted out my 14a non-starting issue. He knows SR's very well and will be able to sort you out I'm sure. The garage is near centre of Wolverhampton.

Otherwise Clarkey @ Doritech will also be someone worth speaking to...

Drop me PM if you need any phone numbers etc :)

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Cool bit of info there dude... never knew that one! :thumbs:

Craig - this is awesomeness but will it work on my 14a?? Think I'd like to check regularly for faults. I do have a grey consult plug on the driver's side front footwell next to the fusebox :)
I'm fairly sure it should work - Justin said he used to do it with his Pulsar so I'm juessing it'll work with most Nissan ECU's

Thanks Craig. I'll give credit to both you and justin666. :)

I've added a photo of the plug location into your write-up :thumbs:
Thank you for that :)

Worth giving jez a call at Horsham developments a call as he's the sr20 expert and may point out how to bypass it!
Yeah, Jez has done it before. TBH it can't be that hard.. I'd search SXOC and see how it's done. If you can do it yourself and save time/money then that's never a bad thing.

Reaction score
Country
hi guys i have got the same problem with my s15 but i want to reset it first to see if its an old fault but i dont know how to rest it. Can some one please tell me how to reset it thanks.

Nickichi

Reaction score
Website
forum.s15oc.com
Country
Its point 5 from the first post

criag8585 said:
  1. Switch the ignition to the ON position but do not start the car.
  2. Depending on its orientation of the consult plug (see below) bridge the two lower left, or upper right pins on the consult plug with the wire paper clip for 5 seconds, then remove the bridge.
  3. Observe and write down the sequence of flashed produced by the engine check light on the dash.
  4. Once you are satisfied you have all the fault codes bridge the consult pins again (basically, repeat step 2) and this will erase any stored fault codes and revert the ECU back its normal operation. It is important you carry out this part or the ECU will continue to repeat the stored codes.

Reaction score
Country
hi guys i have got the same problem with my s15 but i want to reset it first to see if its an old fault but i dont know how to rest it. Can some one please tell me how to reset it thanks.
Si, what symptoms is yours showing? mine is yet to be rectified, haven't had time for her with work!
However, I do have a set of Splitfire Coilpacks on the way from the US, to eliminate them from the mix, so hopefully they will sort it.

Reaction score
Country
[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Iv not had any symptoms just thought I would do the fault test and see what I get an that came up lol. I'm going to reset it and see if it's still there. Hope the coil pack sorts it for you mate. [/FONT]

Reaction score
Country
Since this is a sticky I won't feel bad about reviving it:

I got an engine light and only have the Nissan connector on the s15 I bought last night (Yea, terrible timing). The paperclip didn't work. No lights, Nada. I took it to the garage and they couldn't read it either. Does this mean my connector is probably koozed or not connected properly? The new one is an sr20det swap into a spec s like my old one.