What's new

Battery Relocation Kits now ready to order :)

Reaction score
Country
Jordan, what diameter cable did you use? I've found an electrical supplier who's got some real bargains! Will 10mm core be enough? If not the other diameters they stock are 16mm, 25mm, and 35mm! (not that you need to go that big!)

I'm gonna knock something cheap and cheerful up over easter i hope. If you have photos of where you've routed the cable too, then that'd be amazing!

Cheers :)

Reaction score
Country
You need 50mm cable lol! 10mm would just melt straight away! 50mm is about £7/m I will be putting my kits up for sale very soon now I am happy that it all works properly :) I will be offering two types of battery trays. The all singing all dancing ones for those who want them and also a budget one made from plastic which is what most people use :) you will need 5m of cable if you route it properly so it's not a cheap job whatever you do. And tbh I wouldn't advise cutting corners as you will defiantly run into problems :(

S

s15gt

if you're looking to save cable lug it at the starter motors positive and create a small link to the alternator.
lug the 2 original wire and red trace wires to the post in the fuse box.
should save around 1M or so

Reaction score
Country
50mm?!?!! that seems very thick?
Not trying to insult your intelligence here, but 50mm, is 5cm. that cable does not look 5cm thick! lol
Understand what i mean? that looks like around 10mm cable. I've got 10mm cable on my battery at the moment as i relocated some cabling in the engine bay about a year ago, and thats been fine..

Not having a dig, just trying to clarify :) xxx

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I think he means 50 square mm CSA or whatever you weird leccies call it! ;)

Reaction score
Country
Yeah it is 50mm2. It's about 12mm diameter. The trouble is when you lengthen the cable and use cable which is the same diameter it will probably melt due to the current been drawn from the starter. You could probably get away with 35mm2 but I like to work on the safe side hence why I used the 50mm stuff.

Us lecies arnt weird we just don't like to fix everything with a hammer like you spanner monkeys :)

Reaction score
Country
Yeah it is 50mm2. It's about 12mm diameter. The trouble is when you lengthen the cable and use cable which is the same diameter it will probably melt due to the current been drawn from the starter. You could probably get away with 35mm2 but I like to work on the safe side hence why I used the 50mm stuff.

Us lecies arnt weird we just don't like to fix everything with a hammer like you spanner monkeys :)
Ah I see... so 16mm diameter will be LOADS enough then :) happy about that.

And i'm not a spanner monkey.. i'm a wannabie spanner monkey.. and I have used a hammer on my car.. and an angle grinder.. and a chisel.. erm.. :)

Back to topic - did you earth it to one of the existing earthing points for the lights/wiper? or did you create one?

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country

It's good to see they are called knuckle draggers every where else in the world too. :p

It's just cause we are smarter than they are... ;)

Reaction score
Country
I get back from Turkey tomorrow, so I will fire over a message to medler and sort out selling them. If I can do a group buy they will be a lot cheaper as I can order the cable in bulk. I will post up some detailed pics of the conversion and also show some options on battery boxes to see what people prefer. At the minute I won't be doing the SS ones as they are very expensive to have made :(

Prices so far will be £80 + the battery tray so should be around £100 inc the tray and delivery :)

Reaction score
Country
just notice the 50mm2 cable part, well you defiantly wont melt anything, 50mm2 is used on 24v competition 4x4 off roaders to power 20000+ lb winches and they have far more grunty alternators then a SR20 engine

Reaction score
Country
Yeah but there not needing 5m long lengths! The further it has to go the bigger the cable as the hotter it gets when you turn the starter. You could probably use 1 gauge cable but I'm not one for taking risks when it's something I'm planning on selling :) + as I have said before I am an aircraft electrician so I do kinda know what I'm talking about :wack:

Reaction score
Country
true better to be safe, as the voltage drop on a relocation kit is something to consider anyway

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
i'll be intersted in one of these, probably minus the battery tray. As my spare is out i'll see what i can do about fitting a less tall (not flat battery :p) down there.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I get back from Turkey tomorrow, so I will fire over a message to medler and sort out selling them. If I can do a group buy they will be a lot cheaper as I can order the cable in bulk. I will post up some detailed pics of the conversion and also show some options on battery boxes to see what people prefer. At the minute I won't be doing the SS ones as they are very expensive to have made :(

Prices so far will be £80 + the battery tray so should be around £100 inc the tray and delivery :)
Haven't got an email yet.

+ as I have said before I am an aircraft electrician so I do kinda know what I'm talking about :wack:
So does that mean I should know what I am talking about? :p

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Leccy stuff is easy anyway, proper mechanical shizz is where it's at! :p