What's new

Odd rear demister problem after removing door chime

Reaction score
Country
Hey guys, hoping someone can help me on this one,

I stopped the annoying door chime using the 'unplugging-at-the-ignition-barrel' method, and now every time I turn my car on "ON, not ACC and not just after starting", the rear demister turns on after about 30 seconds.

I won't be able to plug the door chime back in to see if it is the direct cause for a couple of months because I'm going overseas but I just wanted to know if anyone else had experienced this? Or know of a fix?

Nickichi

Reaction score
Website
forum.s15oc.com
Country
that's driven me nuts ever since I bought the car, I get the beep for the lights being on but never a charm when the door opens so I had presumed it was never installed. guess the auto electrician did something funny when he wired in the alarm system for the car dealer.

but yea if the key is @ on without the engine running or even if I have just started the engine given a short time the rear demister turns on, have always thought of just pulling the fuse since I don't use it but never bothered.

I would have a look at it myself but im good with house electrics but still trying to catchup with auto electrics but i was thinking it was something to do with a floating negative causeing the signal circuit to ground after a while from the time clock behind the speedo

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
that's driven me nuts ever since I bought the car, I get the beep for the lights being on but never a charm when the door opens so I had presumed it was never installed. guess the auto electrician did something funny when he wired in the alarm system for the car dealer.

but yea if the key is @ on without the engine running or even if I have just started the engine given a short time the rear demister turns on, have always thought of just pulling the fuse since I don't use it but never bothered.

I would have a look at it myself but im good with house electrics but still trying to catchup with auto electrics but i was thinking it was something to do with a floating negative causeing the signal circuit to ground after a while from the time clock behind the speedo

Haha whut?

If you plug the chime back in, does it stop it from turning the demister on?

Nickichi

Reaction score
Website
forum.s15oc.com
Country
dunno, were does the chime plug in

I was looking through the schematic and could only see the heated windows controlled by the switch in the car and the timer on the back of the cluster. Thats why i thought it was a loose cable triping the timer on