What's new

WTB: S15 Coilovers

K

kababaka

:cool: Looking for some coilovers for my S15...

HSD, HKS HIPERMAX, TIEN HE, DG5, ETC... no apex, d2, or other crap...

Cheers! :D

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Aren't HSD's basically the same as the new Apex 'crap' ones?!

Reaction score
Got Apex Gen 2's on my s15 and went to a track day recently and they were awesome. So, what's the problem?
Could you define crap?

K

kababaka

No idea, my boyfriend wrote that because I don't have a clue what I am talking about!

:-D

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I dont think he has a clue what he's talking about either :p

K

kababaka

I dont think he has a clue what he's talking about either :p
Well, I trust his opinion, he knows these cars better than most. What I will say is that sometimes he comes across as rude, i'm sorry if anyone has been offended - if you're happy with your coilovers thats great :D

I will ask him why he says those ones are crap though...

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
bundles of people on this forum and sxoc are very happy with thier apex gen 2 coilovers. i have no personal experience of them but i'd go for those for price versus performance if i were looking....on a group buy you can get them for under 500-00 for a set with pillowball and front camber upper mounts....

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
This reminds me of the never ending 'k-sport brakes are crap because they are k-sport' debate. Try them before you slate them.

K

kababaka

Personally I would avoid the word crap myself. Bit harsh.

he said - "my opinion is based on build quality, damping rates, spring rates, longevity and obviously performance Vs price. Having driven on a large percentage of the aftermarket suspension out there, zeal, apex, ohlins, KYB, CS2s... it's my opnion that the apex gen II cannot compete with the likes of CS2 / DG5. not to mention that apex gen II are close, although still lacking in some areas compared with HSD on thier second attempt. In short, is the suspension you are running that great? or is it that great because you moved on from standard or knackered old JICs? - love Mitto (i should sign up, but i have no S15 :()

Anyway, if you want to have a debate go on DW and talk to him about it!:D

back to the original post, does anyone have any suspension for me? I am going with what he said because he's fitting it, and if I don't like it i'd never hear the last of it!

K

kababaka

driving to and from work for now...I guess you are going to say I don't need fancy ones aren't you? But I drive through a lot of windy and bumpy country roads so I want decent, comfortable suspension that will keep my tyres on the floor!

...oh and the main reason I want coilovers is to lower the car.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
you probably wont like what i say (or your bf won't), as i would suggest apex 5/4 comfies for that........wait for more opinions :)

K

kababaka

the wise one has spoken: he said "simply softening the springs does not a good damper make"

:thumbs:I appreciate your advice though, but the best thing for me to do (as a person that knows nothing) is to let him deal with everything to do with my car, (Although I have my own opinions about asthetics and don't really listen to him about that.) I trust his judgement more than a stranger :cool:(no offence) and as I say since he's going to be the one putting it together I'll let him decide. At least then, if it's not giving me what I want I can shout at him, rather than him saying "I told you so" You may think I have a bit of tunnel vison going on and just trusting him because I think he's sexy ;)- but he does have a lot of experience along with his opinion - he hasn't just thrown in his 2p worth for a laugh.

I welcome other opinions on this!

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
Apex Gen2's no question.

No offence but unless you are going to be competing in motorsport, buying anything other than Apex Gen2 coilovers will be wasting money in my opinion.

And lets face it your using your car to drive to work.

Ive had them on my car for years now and they are great suspension, casting them off a crappy says it all to me im affriad...

K

kababaka

Ok, fair point, I'm not familiar with how much each cost but I am looking for used suspension so that accounts for the cost.

I'm wondering what other suspension you have used in order to make your reccomendation, or is it just simply a cost thing?

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
This cracks me up! Personally I would never buy used coilovers anyway, but thats just my uneducated opinion.

Apex comfies would be my choice too unless you want to splash out on Tein Super Streets (but the fronts don't go very low). If you only using the car for the likes of daily driving then I'd get a fairly soft spring rate.

Or Nismo S-Tunes if they are good enough for you. Cheap, soft and lowers the car without the harshness of coilovers :)

K

kababaka

replies from mitto -

This cracks me up! Personally I would never buy used coilovers anyway, but thats just my uneducated opinion.
why wouldn't you buy used coilovers? please explain... barring wear on the internal seals or some surface rust, any damage or faults are generally easy to spot. they dont tend to suddenly explode and kill you. I'd rather buy used premium brand suspension, than brand new budget suspension. obviously thats a personal choice.

Apex comfies would be my choice too unless you want to splash out on Tein Super Streets (but the fronts don't go very low). If you only using the car for the likes of daily driving then I'd get a fairly soft spring rate.
Apex "comfies" i assume is refering to the spring rate change, rather than a balanced spring and damper solution? I'd say the car being a daily makes it even more important to have effective damping, rather than "this is low and is'nt too hard"

I personally don't rate super streets, they do the job, but the damping still ends up making the car a little skittish when it really counts. mainly due to the japanese Vs uk roads and the resulting spring and damper rates.

Or Nismo S-Tunes if they are good enough for you. Cheap, soft and lowers the car without the harshness of coilovers :)
S-Tunes are great, if you bought a car brand new from nissan... however, to pay the money that people are asking for them after 10 years of use, when you can buy the beloved apex gen II for the same money after 2-3 years is madness. id personally pay about £80-100 for used s-tune. Coilovers don't need to be harsh... infact, the CS2s i run on my pro car (S14 silvia) are WAY softer than almost anything else i've ever run. they pretty much out perform anything else i have run too, barring real big money stuff.

I'm sorry if i've upset a few people by refering to thier suspension choice as "crap", however... My opinions are based on years of experience, in particular with s-chassis nissans. I have driven apex gen I and gen II, they are actually really good for the money. Until of course you try CS2s, DG5s, Apexi N1... when you realise how outclassed they are. This is a wanted thread after all, so really, a few of you are only posting because i upset you, not because you happen to be selling suspension that meets our requirements.

if you would like to disscuss it further (because im going to get in trouble from her indoors for **** talking :)) please hop over to driftworks and pm me! or, just look at my project thread and sulk :p (ps. secretly i'll be sulking, because i couldn't afford an S15 to do it all to!!! FUUUUUUUU! lol)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Ok mate, I'll sulk! lol I don't use driftworks as it's not my kind of forum.

So any advice we can try and give here is either wrong or falling on deaf ears. I am not going to write you an essay back as I CBA. Good luck with your search! :D

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
kababaka - I definitely saw some used Tein Super Streets for sale on SXOC recently off S14 which looked in amazing condition. Ask 'the wise one' whether fitment from S14 to S15 will be ok?

I've got these so can vouch for the quality... mine's a daily driver even in winter with the salt crap everywhere and Craig's seen at first hand that nothing has seized up/leaking in nearly 2 years of daily driving! :thumbs: In terms of ride and suitability for UK fast road (which is bumpy lol) I'd say nothing comes closer. I've sat in many other coilover setups and all are too harsh and this is because Japanese roads as you know are not like UK ones so Japanese track/drift coilovers in my opinion should be labelled NOT FOR UK ROAD USE haha :D

Anyways hopefully a search on SXOC For Sale section will bring them up and they're still not sold... I even commented on the sale thread myself to say how much I love my Super Streets. If you want to see how low the front will go then look at pics of my car - it's on the lowest setting for the fronts. Would like lower but then again it'll probs compromise handling unless out on track.

Finally I kinda guessed it was Mitto writing on this thread... he's rude but in a nice way lmao :p :D

K

kababaka

Can't find that...but found this!
http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=471289&highlight=tein+super+streets&page=2
It's confusing! People saying so many different things! Across the board HSD seems to be well liked! Depends how much I can find some for though!

I'd be interested in the super streets for the right price, although they've had some bad comments said about them on the SXOC - cheers for the advice.

Yeah Mat can be rude, i'm sure he secretly enjoys pissing people off, he has a knack for it. Althogh in his defence he's posted a ****load of evidence to support his opinions, wheras so far all i've got is "they are cheap/they are good" about apex.