What's new

WTB: Quiet 3" cat back exhaust

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
Would love something to replace my loud bean can exhaust... no idea what it is and some people love it, but for me it's just too loud when driving normally and it makes my rattly doors sound like maracas!

Loads of S14 exhaust seem to pop up, but hearing they are a bit longer so thought Id' post here in case anyone knew of anything going. Pretty sure I'd love a hi power silent HKS, but imagine they're not easy to find cheap?

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
Cheers for the reply dude. Will check out some vids, but tbh it's a bit north of what I'd want to pay.

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
Cool OK... I'm talking to a few people at the moment and trying out ideas. Really would like a direct fit exhaust designed for S15 to save hassle fitting (as it'll be done on the street), but mostly important is noise. I'll ping you in a bit, just wanted to be upfront.

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
Wow this looks like a handy find.

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?199909-exhaust-loudness-list

From loudest to softest exhaust
GP Sports Spec R
Wise Sports Besiege Titanium - 121 db(A)@4000rpm (full decat, without silencer)
Blitz NÜR Spec R (and spec V) - 118 db(A)@4250rpm (with hks downpipe& 3"decat, no silencers)
Motoria - 111db (3" turbo back, backbox silencer only)
Buddy Club Spec III
Megan Racing - 112 db@wot (full decat, without silencer)
Apex - 110 db (Apex single box sytem, xspower 3"downpipe, 5" hollow de-cat, normal cast manifold)
Invidia G200
Buddy Club Pro Spec
Motoria - 108 dB(A) (with apex silenced downpipe)
Tanabe Super Medalion Hyper
Apex s/s - 108 db (3" single Box c/w s/s manifold, s/s elbow, 3" s/s downpipe and 3" s/s Decat)
Wise Sports Besiege
Blitz NÜR Spec - 106 dB(A) (with 2.75" downpipe)
Blitz NÜR Spec R (and spec V) - 104 dB(A)@4500rpm (with bung in, 3" apex front pipe & 3" decat pipe)
Blitz NÜR Spec R - 104 dB(A)@4500rpm (without bung, 2.5" front pipe with jetex small round straight through box)
HKS HiPower 409 - 103 db(A)
Buddy Club Spec II - 102db(A)@4500rpm
Motoria Turboback - 102 db(A)
A'PEXi N1 Dual - 102db @4500rpm (SR, full decat, without silencer)
A'PEXi Bomber 2 - 101 dB(A)
Mongoose 2 - 100 db(A)@4000rpm (3" front pipe, decat silencer, 3" catback)
Apex Single box system - 100 db(A)
A'PEXi GT - 99 db(A)@4500rpm
HKS Hi-Power - 99 db@4500rpm (2.5" front pipe with jetex small round straight through box)
5Zigen Miracle Fireball
A'PEXi N1 Evolution - 98 dB(A)
Fujitsubo Power Getter - 98 dB(A)@4500rpm
Apex Twin Box - 98 dB(A)
A'PEXi N1 ExTi
HKS Dual Dragger - 96 dB(A) (with decat)
Scorpion Suzuka - 96 db(A) (with decat silencer & scorpion 2.7" downpipe)
Apexi GT spec - 95 db@4500rpm (TD06 manifold and front pipe, Scorpian decat silencer)
Tanabe Super Medalion R - <95 dB(A)
PTS custom back box - 97 db(A) (replaces rear Nur spec section)
Apex type 1 - 94 db (3" cat-back system, standard frontpipe and cat)
Tanabe Concept G - <93 dB(A)
OBX TYPE-DTM - 92/94 dB(A)
GP Sports Spec D Pro 2.5" Cat back System with 3" decat - 92db@4500 rpm
A'PEXi HM Evolution - 92db(A)
Apex/Blueflame Sensible Twin Exit - 92db(A)@4500rpm (3" bore, twin 3.5" exit)
HKS Silent Hi-power - 92 db (with full decat and turbo back piping)
Megan Racing?
JIC Bullet 505Ti
Buddy Club Spec IV
Blitz Realize TT
GReddy Evo TT
Fujitsubo Powergetter
Fujitsubo Legalis Super R - 91 dB(A)@4500rpm
A'PEXi N1 Dual - 90 db(A)@4500rpm (with decat frontpipe & scorpion decat silencer)
Fujitsubo RM01A
Motoria catback (without downpipe) - 89 db(A)
XS Power - 89db@4500rpm (ss manifold, elbo, downpipe and cat back welded in custom center and rear boxes)
Apex Gen 2 - 86 db(A)@6500rpm (with bung & decat silencer)
HKS Silent Hi-power - 86 db(A)@4500rpm (full decat)
Mongoose - 85 db@5200rpm (3", de-catted with twin outlet, std manifold and elbow)
OBX Racing Sports Type Hiroshima (Type-H)
RS*R Ex-Mag
GReddy SP2
5Zigen ProRacer
STOCK Exhaust - 82db(A)@4500rpm
5Zigen Fire

I think it might be wise to go measure the loudness of my exhaust to find out where it sits in that list. Whatever the hell it is that I have.

Reaction score
It's quite surprising how much the turbo elbow and downpipe add to the hks silent Hi power, from 86 to 92.

They don't have the factory nismo exhaust on the list, would be interesting to know where that comes. I removed my 3" HKS Hi power and put the smaller nismo on, can't remember if it's 2.5 or 2.75.

The HKS is a lot easier to fit and remove, because it's two part where as the nismo is one piece. Still doable on a drive with axle stands though.

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
Yeah I thought that too. The Nismo exhaust is one of the ones I talking with a chap about, I'm just worried it might be a bit rusty. There's a guy on sxoc who offered an S14 fitment nismo cat back exhaust up and said he'd take £40 but it has no center silencer, and another which is from an S15 and does have a center section in Ireland who wants £100 (plus shipping I guess). Aaaaand then there's another HKS super drager copy which looks really lovely, but thats also an S14 fitment thingy. That apparenty comes in at 92-94db according to another thread (but who knows how well they measured, aor if they talked it up/down)....

Nismo is 2.5" btw. My old Mongoose on my S13 was 2.5" too, and that was probably too loud for me too... I think I want the Silent Hi Power or the Nismo, its just these ones up for grabs are a bit tatty.

I suppose I *could* go to powerflo and get them to stick a giant center section in for me, but not sure they'll touch a 3" exhaust? Hmm! Might be easier to just get drunk and think about it another day :)

Reaction score
I had the mongoose on my old s13 and upgraded to a silent Hi power, was a much nicer car to be I after that. The nismo is quieter than the hks Hi power I have for sale, as long as you're not going for much more power, it's a sensible exhaust for sensible money, as you say just finding a good one.

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
Decided to go impulsive and get a silencer stuck in to quieten it down. It's a lovely fit and looks mint so hopefully this brings it back to sensible! Fingers crossed it does the job.

Reaction score
Country
The 14 exhaust is exactly 60mm longer then the 15 which is perfect if you replace your bumper with something other than the pods.
I have the Tomei Elbow, 3'' HKS Polished Stainless Steel Downpipe de-cat, and Nismo Spec Pro. This is probably the most quiet exhaust setup I have ever had even with a bored SR with Tomei 264 Poncams. I orginally had the Blitz NÜR Spec R and like many of you know is obnoxious for daily driving but I'm all about those gains so I'm looking for a new 3" cat back. I had the HKS Hi-power on my NA 13 back in the day and loved it. How did it sound on your 15 TomK? I'm debating between that and the 3" Tomei Expreme Ti.

Last edited: