What's new

S15 Spec-R - VQ30DET conversion

Reaction score
Country
So I’ve had my S15 for a couple of years now, and after viewing this site for a few years i finally got around to joining.

Purchased mechanically stock with typical retard mods of neons & clear tail lights - which were promptly removed/disabled (Not all bad however - came with a pretty decent $2000+ pro installed Alpine stereo).

Having modified a 200sx before (I had a S14a back in the 90’s) i had a fair idea of what i was after & how to achieve it – responsive usable power - so with this in mind i set about modifying.

Engine:

Camtech billet VCT Camshafts 260/260 10.5mm/10.5mm
Garrett GT28/71 52t - 400hp turbo
Speedflow oil / coolant lines
Sard 550cc Injectors
Z32 afm
Nistune ECU
Turbosmart plumb back BOV
Blitz Dual ID boost controller
3" exhaust
300x600x76 intercooler setup
Walbro fuel pump
wide band AFR meter
Oil catch can
k&N air filter

This combo ended up putting out 294rwhp / 220rwkw @ 16psi boost

Wheels:

Work Meister S1 3P - 18x8 & 18x9

Suspension:

HKS Hypermax III coil overs

Pics:

Reaction score
Country
So this was fantastic for a while, almost zero lag and a good street setup.

But I got bored.

So in a moment of weakness I bought one of these:

VQ30DET Y33 Cima front cut with a genuine 26,000km on the clock.

And then the conversion started.

First of all I sorted out the ECU, decided to go for a Nistune setup, as the car is a streetcar with A/C, P/S decided that the stock ECU modified would be the best plan.

After around 12 hours work using multiple wiring diagrams (removing body loom, airbag loom etc) , wiring = sorted

Then had some of these made up so hold the engine and transmission in place:

Then SR20DET came out and real work started:

SR20DET and wiring loom came out and work started on installing new valve springs and 265 deg cams into the VQ30DET.

Anyways, pix of progress.

SR20 out - served me well, off to live a new life in a Datsun 200B coupe

On trailer returning from engine & wiring loom removal

Back home ready for work to commence

Drained motor of oil and cracked the sump, the motor was mint

So then I decided that I wanted to chuck a set of cams in it.

All covers and accessories off and cams out - so much crap to come off to get the sticks out

Jim Wolf spring compressor mocked up - fits up nicely.

Reaction score
I read the first post a couple of days back and wondered where the vq30det engine was from the title. Great engine conversion, you might be a bit tight on space, as those engines were notoriously difficult to work on even in a Z32:wack:. Either way I'll be looking forward to seeing the swap done, there's so much potential in those engines.

Reaction score
Interesting and unusual build, out of interest how much does VQ30DET weigh? What suspension and brake setup will you be running? Will you still use the HKS's

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Cheers mate, would love to post up all my pics but as im a new member this is taking quite some time as each post must be approved.

Unless a mod can sort that out for me?

I read the first post a couple of days back and wondered where the vq30det engine was from the title. Great engine conversion, you might be a bit tight on space, as those engines were notoriously difficult to work on even in a Z32:wack:. Either way I'll be looking forward to seeing the swap done, there's so much potential in those engines.

Reaction score
Country
Actually reading this again i think you are referring to an iron block VG30DETT (Z32), this engine i am using is an all alloy VQ30DET which is basically identical to a 350Z VQ35DE (except VQ30DET is built for turbo factory, 500ml smaller in capacity) and its cousin VR38DETT R35 GTR engine as picured below:

Reaction score
Country
Interesting and unusual build, out of interest how much does VQ30DET weigh? What suspension and brake setup will you be running? Will you still use the HKS's
Cheers mate - ive build a couple of unusual cars before so this is not out of the norm for me :D

VQ30DET is around 20kgs heaver than SR20DET (very compact and all aluminium) but negating the weight its able to be mounted far back in the engine bay.

No plans in changing suspension and brake wise i'm running R34 GTR 324mm front discs with calliper adaptors and 300mm rear discs - should stop pretty decently i hope!

Reaction score
Country
Cool build! I've got an S15, a Y32 Cima, 300zx box and cross member needed to put them all together. Cant decide if I should do it or just bling the cima up and drive it. I'll be watching your progress!!!

Sender

Reaction score
Country
clean car, really like it. Just wonder where are you going to put turbo, in front of the engine?

Reaction score
Country
Valve springs all installed, cams are in & engine completely back together:

Also received my modified wiring loom back from being merged with the S15 engine / ABS loom – 100% plug in (with ABS, A/C, P/S and parts of the S15 body loom run as per OEM (ie, front left indicator))

Then made a 350Z gearbox work with the VQ30DET

350Z gearshifter mounts way to far back to be used in an 'S' chassis car, to bring it back to a usable position I cut reshaped and rewelded the shifter base 80mm closer to the gearbox.

First job was to remove the gear shifter linkage and weld both ends together - basically removing the 80mm length as pictured in vice

Then started on the shifter bracket. Drilled a series of holes in around the position i wanted to move the shifter base to.

Then removed the shifter base, file finished both shifter base and bracket then positioned everything where it needed to be and took to OKE020 to weld (cheers Scott).

And now all finished (minus reverse lockout plate).

(and a pic for comparison of standard location)

Reaction score
Country
Then engine went in:

Tighter than a nuns nasty lowering it in but once on the mounts sits quite nicely.

Clutch and flywheel installed and box bolted on - ready for deployment.

Early hours of engine installation

And final resting position

Rear of engine 80mm from firewall, front of engine 320mm to radiator support - with good clearance for all accessories around the engine

Reaction score
Country
Finished product:

As im intending on running the vehicle on E85 I decided new fuel rails to allow top feed injectors were in order (ID1000's) – this is how that all worked out.

Reaction score
Country
And finally, assembly !!

Then made a box for the air filter:

And finally, running!!

Idle, 14.7:1 on the meter - loving those cams, sounds infinitely different than a stock cam VQ30 (230 deg Vs 265 & about another 1mm lift)

http://youtu.be/kmHrGNTWqaw

So that’s it’ that’s where im up to – 10 months so far in the build.

Thanks for reading.

Reaction score
I must say, I'm impressed. I was a little bit, hmmm well thats going to be a bit tight and heavy but it looks great.

Could I ask you a favour, would you put your build thread up on the www.nissansportscarclub.org We have a lot of techy guys, and several are doing big build ups as well and they would appreciate what you have done.