What's new

S15 Spec-R - VQ30DET conversion

Reaction score
Wow im so impressed by the quality of this build, i look at so many builds my ipad mini is always going flat lol

Congratulations on pioneering and finishing the conversion to such a high quality, as a mechanic i am blow away by your abilities!

Reaction score
Country
Cheers guys! - probably over 300hrs to get it where it is now, lots of time to do things properly.

Anyways over the past couple of weeks the following jobs have been sorted.

- Fuel pumps installed
- Twin relay setup for fuel system power
- CAS wires permanently run and heat shielded
- Neutral switch hooked up (confirmed working with ECU)
- Reverse switch hooked up
- Battery box bolted down
- Battery tray made
- Battery bracket attached
- Adjusted throttle body bypass so idle solenoid doing its job now, idle set at around 800rpm
- 1” sump spacer added, increased oil capacity by around 1L (around ~6L in total).
- Reconfigured turbo oil return, dash 12 90deg fitting directly into sump
- PITA coolant leak resolved
- Header tank fully installed (coolant taken from the two highest points of the cooling system and plumbed to lower radiator hose)

With the header tank installed I was able to idle the car for around 10 minutes with the engine holding steady 88deg (ECU coolant sensor). The twin 10” SPAL fans seem cool it down quickly, well so far.

Having the car running for 10 mins also gave me a chance to checkout how effective the exhaust lagging is, seems to be doing its job brilliantly. After 10 minutes idle I was able to hold my hand on the exhaust & exhaust housing bag wasn’t even hot to the touch.

So what’s next.

Shifter.

Have ordered a new factory shifter from the US, the short shifter I have installed now is rubbish. The shifter incorporates the reverse lockout (which is currently non existent) so I have no doubt that’ll require some ‘tweaking’ once that arrives.

Fuel.

I can’t decide if I should run this car on E85 / eflex or BP 98.

The entire fuel system has been specd for E85. SAEJ30 R9 fuel hose, plenty of injector (ID1000’s), twin 255l Walbro pumps, and decent reg (genuine SARD) but I can’t commit.

Closest eflex service station is 32km from home being a 64km roundtrip (plus 2 x tolls). Probably won’t drive the car there so it’ll be all jerry cans.

This is a massive pain in the arse, even if I don’t drive the car that often I can see this getting old quickly.

Where as my local BP (98 octane) is basically at the end of my street.

Decisions decisions.

Daveizz

Reaction score
Country
There are so many different builds regarding S15's all over the world, saw and read a lot of them.
But my god bud, this is on of a kind and something really different.
Wow man.....just wow, it's so freaking clean like it came out the factory like that.

G

Gadget1382

I joined up just so I can subscribe to this thread...

Well, that wasn't the only reason, but one of the main ones.

I'm in the process of building a VQ30det S12... so an old school version of what you've got. It's a track only version so things will be a bit different and I'm trying to stick with the factory turbo and manifolds... for now.

How are you for space around the steering components and heat transferance to the cabin?

Great work thus far... More pics please!

Reaction score
Country
I joined up just so I can subscribe to this thread...

Well, that wasn't the only reason, but one of the main ones.

I'm in the process of building a VQ30det S12... so an old school version of what you've got. It's a track only version so things will be a bit different and I'm trying to stick with the factory turbo and manifolds... for now.

How are you for space around the steering components and heat transferance to the cabin?

Great work thus far... More pics please!
Cheers mate.

space is tight, no let me rephrase - TIGHT.... but still OK, just have to be quite careful in your engine placement.

Well i'm not sure where to start, lots of progress on the old girl. No longer running the stock ECU and have moved to Haltech.

If there's some interest i'll type it all up.

Cheers!

Cess

Staff member
Instagram Staff
Reaction score
Country
Looks like a great conversion. I'd love to see more pictures

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

G

Gadget1382

Yup, still keen...
Not much progress on my front, buying a family friendly house and starting a family will do that...

But the new house has a bigger better garage, so the project will still get completed.

Shame the VQ30det forum is now no longer.

Reaction score
Country
got a power figure yet?
Not yet, but have been a tad busy building this:

1UZFE 4.0L V8 (from Toyota Celsior)
5-speed conversion - W5x gearbox from (from Toyota GX100 Chaser)
R31 Diff conversion
R31 front brakes / R31 rear brakes
R31 front struts (converted to coilover) S13 rear coilovers
R31 Wagon fuel tank conversion
Apexi SAFCII
AEM WB02

But i have managed to make a few changes on the S15, changed the ECU to a Haltech platunum sport, LS1 coils and a fair few other smaller changes (oil catch can etc).

Pretty much ready for dyno now :D

Reaction score
Country
top effort there mate.
Im just thinking in the back of my mind...... dont melt anything, even wrapped up very well... its so tight in there.

Top marks on making it look like nissan put that engine in there though

Reaction score
Country
This is a quality conversion, Im amazed how neatly you managed to get it all in there. You have to love a good tidy engine bay. :notworthy: